difference between 15 thru 17 expedition and previous rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking at 15 thru 17 Expeditions and probably will purchase sometime in the future and would like to know if there is a difference in the engines, transmissions or suspensions between these years. I have rented several thru the last few years and love the ride of the EL better than the reg one. I see the carfax on everyone I see and about 95% appear to be previous rentals. That concerns me some as people who rent them don't always give them the best care. Should I try to stay away from rentals?

GreenSub

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. The asking price for these previous rentals are pretty steep and i personally wouldn't pay $30k + for a rental vehicle. I had better luck finding "personal use" in the years prior to 2014. And I'm trying to find out if the suspension on prior to 2014 are same as 2015 and up. If so, i'll go with the 2014 as the extra power and mpg with EcoBoost doesn't matter to me as much.

Last edited:

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Carfax lists all fleet models as previous rental. That being said I have purchased previous rentals including my 2016. These tend to be the more expensive to rental per day so aren’t rented as much, or by the same crowd. Rentals also tend to either be really base model or upgraded. My 2016 XLT has the option group 202A which adds all the features I would want. It had about 20k on it before dealer used it as a dealer driven vehicle.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. The asking price for these previous rentals are pretty steep and i personally wouldn't pay $30k + for a rental vehicle. I had better luck finding "personal use" in the years prior to 2014. And I'm trying to find out if the suspension on prior to 2014 are same as 2015 and up. If so, i'll go with the 2014 as the extra power and mpg with EcoBoost doesn't matter to me as much.
14 and older have different type of shock mounts for the front suspension. older models have one horizonal mount the connects shock to the LCA whereas newer models have two that run vertically through LCA. Everything else is pretty much the same. Different gears available for transmission depending on what package you get

GreenSub

Reaction score
14 and older have different type of shock mounts for the front suspension. older models have one horizonal mount the connects shock to the LCA whereas newer models have two that run vertically through LCA. Everything else is pretty much the same. Different gears available for transmission depending on what package you get

Does the shock mounts have any effect on the way it rides?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just posted a rather detailed description about ride differences in this thread:

Is there a difference in the ride quality between 2014 and 2015?

Another difference I just discovered about 2015-17 models is that 2017 EL 4WD trucks come with a limited-slip rear axle. As far as I know, that was never available on older models. According to the Ford sales brochure, it was not available on any Expedition in 2015 or 2016. That is why I am now narrowing my search to just 2017 trucks.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I believe the rentals are a good way to buy a late model, low mileage car. The rental companies get steep discounts and that's usually passed on to you. The majority of depreciation has been paid by the rental owner, but the car's not aged much.

You are also assured that proper maintenance has been done. Short term buyers very often never bother changing the oil. All that being said, it's quite difficult to find a newer car used with low mileage privately. People just don't part with $60K cars after a couple of years.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a 5 page thread on purchasing rental/fleet vehicles.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/purchasing-a-used-2017-el-rentals.35292/

You are seeing a huge influx in 15-17 rental/fleet vehicles for sale because the 2018s are out and lots of folks are renewing their fleet with the new line.

Great deals to be had purchasing rentals.
I got a 2016 with 46k and a lifetime powertrain guaruntee for way under 30k.