difference between 15 thru 17 expedition and previous rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having just spent literally months going through this (and having a brother who buys cars like he's a car dealer) I can say even though they are "no dicker" CarMax prices are inflated so don't use those to gauge true market value. The different "book" sources like NADA and Kelly Blue Book (KBB) are also biased towards dealers in their numbers.

What we found to be good practice is to look up your year, make, and model on KBB.com and then select "private party value." This is considerably lower than what dealers want to charge. You might have to fight like hell to get a truck from a dealer at a private party price. But, if you can at least get close, you will *know* you got the best deal possible.

For example, at the time I'm posting this, in my area a loaded 2017 XLT with really low miles (under 20K) prices anywhere from $39K - $44K. Several dealers have tried to sell them for $42K but they're not having much luck. When they lower the price below $40K they start to move. But, KBB "private party" for a truck like this in my area is as low as $35K. CarMax would probably ask at least $40K for the same truck.

Try to negotiate the price of your trade separately from the purchase price of the truck. Dealers try to roll it all in together which can be confusing (to their benefit). Know the "real" value of your trade. Don't be "fooled" if they offer more as it's just a game with the numbers. If they offer more for your trade, they are really taking less for their truck. To know if you got a good deal, use what you know is a realistic value for your trade and calculate from there. You can then see what they are really selling their truck for.

Hope that helps!

Greg S

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2016 Expedition EL 4WD XLT, option group 202A so it was fully loaded, plus came with the Nav option (Sync 3). Per Carfax, the truck started as a rental, and was sold around 20K miles in 2017 to its second owner, who then kept it for a year and traded it in locally. The truck had 55K miles on it when I purchased it. The dealer added 20" black wheels and BFG All-Terrain tires (305s), and levelled out the front end, and I purchased it for just under $29K. It still had about 5K miles left on the factory powertrain warranty, but I also purchased an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty to 130K (75K miles over the current mileage) through Ford (never know with all of the electronics, etc.) Before purchasing it, we talked the dealer into letting us take it for an extended test drive and went over it with a fine toothed comb, and found absolutely no issues with it. I've only had the truck for about 3 weeks now but can tell you that I absolutely love it so far, and have no qualms about the fact that it started off its life as a rental. Also agree with prior posters, people who would rent this type of vehicle and at the price point generally aren't your typical crowd who would abuse the truck because it's a rental.

I previously owned a 2008 Expedition 2WD Eddie Bauer with 110K on it, and loved that truck as well. I had no plans on trading trucks but saw this one for sale and couldn't pass up the deal. Plus we have a 6K pound travel trailer, no factory tow package on the 2008 so it struggled a bit to pull it...the 2016 has the HD tow package so looking forward to seeing how much better it pulls our TT.

Anyway, assuming the truck is priced right and doesn't show any signs of abuse, and especially assuming that you would at least be getting the balance of the 5 year/60K factory powertrain warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase.

OP
OP
fordexpylvr

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much!! Enjoy your truck! So you probably noticed a big difference between the 08 and 16?

BoDarville

Reaction score
The rental deals out there have been phenomenal, but I think they're drying up. I finally pulled the trigger on a '17 EL Limited (2wd). Came with sunroof and nav, 49k miles, and I picked it up for $27,500. Looks like a brand new truck, run perfect, and even has brand new tires and battery. 2 of my friends have bought rental '17s within the last couple of weeks as well.

Came from a QX56 and while I do miss some of the nicer materials inside, the Expedition is a better drive with a lot more space inside. Can't wait to see how the Ecoboost pulls my boat, and we're looking forward to summer road trips without a cargo box on top.