Difference btw 2wd and 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was able to drive a limited max today so now i can compare btw the models. The first i drove was a plat swb 4x4 with tow pkg. The sec was a limited max 301 4x4 with spec edition pkg. The plat looks better, the billet style grille and satin chrome accents makes the expy one gorg truck in person. Any person who loves a denali will appreciate the look greatly. The ltd looks great as well, just not as great lol. Also, led headlights look amazing in person, kinda regrettin not opting for it on my order. Going inside the first thing i noticed was how different the seats felt. You can tell the massaging mechanism takes away the cushion of the seat, the limited seats have to be some of the best seats in any vehicle, they are supportive yet plush. The plat seat feels a bit flatter and less cushy, but the massage feature and nicer leather makes up for it. I do like the 360 camera in the plat, other than that all other features are the same(302 ltd gets 360 cam and ccd with 22in whls). As for the drive, first thing i noticed was the plat feels more spry, more gutsy off the line. The ltd isnt slow, but more reluctant. The plat is also slightly more quiet as well. The ltd sus tune feels closer to the ccd sport tune, but i liked it more the the ccd. The ccd feels a bit too loose in the rear and the shocks have a hard time controllin the 22in wheels. The ltd felt more tight and planted while still absorbing most road imperfections. They are both top of the class, ccd feels more cloudlike but more sharp and shimmery as well. Handling is pretty much the same, as is steering feel, they both feel heavier but way more solid than my 09 nav. In all, i def looking fwd to owning one, the wait is getting harder.

My question is, is there a difference in drivAility btw 2wd and 4wd? Do they feel any different in ride and handling? And most importantly, is there a huge gap in gas mileage? My nav is 2wd, its ride does seem slightly softer than an equivalent 4wd but not by much.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed comparison.

Interesting about the massage seats being thinner. Makes sense. Based on what you observed, do you think the massage seats would still be comfortable after 6-8 hours in the saddle?

Also interesting comment about the suspension not handling the 22s as well. I wonder if Ford will let you spec smaller wheels if you special order. If not I guess you could always run the stock tires until they wear out and then buy smaller wheels and taller tires. Or eBay the wheels right off the bat....

You could probably get an aftermarket ecu/tranny tune to even out the difference between the Platinum and lower trim drivetrains. If one was so inclined.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The massage seats will still seem very comfy and are all day supportive, but my back and legs immediately fell in love with the ltd seats. My wife differs she loovved the massage function but even she agrees the ltd seats feel more cosseting.

I was somewhat surprised with the ccd as the 15 - 17 feels so good in first application. I think how Ford had some troubles tuning the f150 suspension with the weight loss, they are running into the same issue with the expy. Not saying either one isnt good they are great, they met expectations, not exceeded.

Either i will need to get led headlight units installed or scratch my order and get the option, i dropped the ball on them. They are very nice, i wasnt expecting that turn of events. However since i plan to lease, i wouldn't want to get aftermarkets.

I think since plat tuned 3.5 use premium for full output, im sure doing the same in the ltd will perk it up as well. I also think the plat 4x4s use the 4.15 gears well.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2WD 2008 Eddie Bauer Expy and a 2017 Expy Limited EL. Other than engine noise and acceleration differences between the two Expys, I have not noticed a handling difference between the both. Both have 20" rims with the same size tires.

I am not sure where in Texas you live but if you don't need 4WD it will be cheaper to stay 2WD, plus less to break down the road. I will mention that I drove my 2017 Expy in the rain for the first time two weeks ago. I noticed the rear tires slipped when first starting out. I actually turned on the 4A (4WD) so that I wouldn't get any wheelspin. The 3.5TT has a lot of torque!

Another thing to think about is that when you got to sell your Expy whether it's 1 year or 8 years from now, will a 4WD be more marketable to the public? I would think a 2WD would be limited to non snow areas like FL, TX and AZ.

Reaction score
I tow a boat with my SUV. I want a 4x4 for the boat ramp. While not required, I always put the vehicle in 4x4 to pull the boat out. I have used 4WD 2 other times on my current SUV: once stuck in mud in a field and on the off road trails in Big Bend National Park. Unlike most of you, I have a 2008 Sequoia. I would not replace it until a manufacturer updated their SUVs. The Expedition/Navigator are the only vehicles currently on the market I would consider purchasing. I am planning on purchasing in a year or so.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was able to drive a limited max today so now i can compare btw the models. The first i drove was a plat swb 4x4 with tow pkg. The sec was a limited max 301 4x4 with spec edition pkg. The plat looks better, the billet style grille and satin chrome accents makes the expy one gorg truck in person. Any person who loves a denali will appreciate the look greatly. The ltd looks great as well, just not as great lol. Also, led headlights look amazing in person, kinda regrettin not opting for it on my order. Going inside the first thing i noticed was how different the seats felt. You can tell the massaging mechanism takes away the cushion of the seat, the limited seats have to be some of the best seats in any vehicle, they are supportive yet plush. The plat seat feels a bit flatter and less cushy, but the massage feature and nicer leather makes up for it. I do like the 360 camera in the plat, other than that all other features are the same(302 ltd gets 360 cam and ccd with 22in whls). As for the drive, first thing i noticed was the plat feels more spry, more gutsy off the line. The ltd isnt slow, but more reluctant. The plat is also slightly more quiet as well. The ltd sus tune feels closer to the ccd sport tune, but i liked it more the the ccd. The ccd feels a bit too loose in the rear and the shocks have a hard time controllin the 22in wheels. The ltd felt more tight and planted while still absorbing most road imperfections. They are both top of the class, ccd feels more cloudlike but more sharp and shimmery as well. Handling is pretty much the same, as is steering feel, they both feel heavier but way more solid than my 09 nav. In all, i def looking fwd to owning one, the wait is getting harder.

My question is, is there a difference in drivAility btw 2wd and 4wd? Do they feel any different in ride and handling? And most importantly, is there a huge gap in gas mileage? My nav is 2wd, its ride does seem slightly softer than an equivalent 4wd but not by much.

Thank you for the detailed review. I can’t wait to test drive one myself. Hopefully we’ll have them in my area soon. Dealer keeps telling me “in the next two weeks”.

Interesting that you mention Denali and anyone who loves Denali’s would also like the Platinum. That’s me! I think there is no better looking truck/SUV than the Yukon XL Denali, just my opinion, obviously. But as we all know, looks aren’t everything. Expy has better technology and features. But man those Denali’s look fantastic!

IMG_0874.JPGIMG_0957.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O wow they called me about this one, its 9k off...i may have to call them back.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't mind Spirit Airlines, they have a DFW to Baltimore direct for like $50 one way.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind Spirit Airlines, they have a DFW to Baltimore direct for like $50 one way.

Or I can just drive up there over my lunch break and pick it up for you, and of course drive it all the way to Dallas... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oaisdghfopuasdbnv