Digital display 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbertke

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to brighten the digital display in the message center and the center console (time & radio station)in a 2012 expedition? When driving in bright sunlight the displays are nearly invisible.
Thanks,
Jim B

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to brighten the digital display in the message center and the center console (time & radio station)in a 2012 expedition? When driving in bright sunlight the displays are nearly invisible.
Thanks,
Jim B

Hi Jim B,

Did you try adjusting the panel dimmer control? I found this information in the 3rd printing of your Owner's Manual on page 73. You can download a free digital copy of your Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage. If you think the digital display may be malfunctioning, you can always bring it to your dealership so they can check it out. Let me know if you need any additional assistance and I'll do what I can to help. :)

Crystal

OP
OP
J

jbertke

Reaction score
Crystal,
Thanks for the reply. I would like to increase the max brightness available with the dimmer switch. When the lights are off, the brightness is not affected by the dimmer but is still not bright enough. Is there another internal adjustment that perhaps the dealer could make to achieve this?
Thanks,
Jim B

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crystal,
Thanks for the reply. I would like to increase the max brightness available with the dimmer switch. When the lights are off, the brightness is not affected by the dimmer but is still not bright enough. Is there another internal adjustment that perhaps the dealer could make to achieve this?
Thanks,
Jim B

Hi Jim B,

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best person to go to for mechanical advice. I recommend reaching out to the service manager at your local dealership; they'll be happy to talk about options with you.

Crystal

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jim,

I don't have a 2012 Expedition, but my mom has a 2012 Lincoln SUV with all the toys. I had to change her display for her when she first got the vehicle.

If you have the navigation screen in your Ex, scroll through the menu until you get into the setup page. There is a setting fro screen brightness in that menu. Just make sure you switch off the automatic feature.

This feature is buried way down in the owner's manual, under the screen settings, or something like that.

Hope this helps you out. Enjoy your truck!

marc

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dash lights are dim as well on my 12. Thanks, I will look in the Nav system for the selection to manual adjust.

RalphHaus

Reaction score
Only '12 in Texas with this problem???

I'm back from my 2nd trip to the dealership trying to get the same 'dim message center display' issue fixed on my wife's '12. All I get is a shoulder shrug. If you believe them I'm the only customer in all of Texas who has this complaint. The display brightness (or lack of) is normal they say. Surprise, I don't believe them. Just looking for anyone who has had this problem repaired and what was done to fix it! Anyone?

Last edited:

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lincoln must have a different system than the Expedition. I'm with you jbertke they are dim no matter how you adjust them. Nav unit was no help.

RalphHaus

Reaction score
I took the time to look at some used Expeditions that were on the dealers lot. One, a 2011, did not have this severe of a problem. I could still read the information when the sun was directly on the dash panel. I also started stopping customers as they were leaving the service area. One guy took the time to drive his '08 in a circle to try and get the panel to show the same problems. His '08 was readable as well. Thus the reason for my second attempt to get service to fix the issue. Must be a variability in t he assemblies? That's all I can come up with. Good luck on getting Ford to swap the dash assemblies out until you get a good one!

Gary Cox

Reaction score
Can you tell me if you ever found out what causes the Dim Message center. I'm to the end of my rope trying to get a straight answer. Ford seems this problem doesn't exist.