Disable DRLs on a 2016 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d21burggraf

Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you - but a question.

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4. The salesman said that I could not get daytime running lights unless the vehicle was a "fleet purchase". I wanted the DRL option. As such, I drive with my headlamps and fog lamps on in place of the DRL's. This was my first Ford in 40+ years of driving. I consider DRL's a safety feature and was surprised that Ford did not offer them to their customers - even at an additional cost.

How did you get DRL's on your vehicle? Was it a used or fleet purchase vehicle? Thanks.

My wife's 2016 Expedition EL has the LED fog lights. I took it to the dealership and they were able to reprogram it so that anytime during daylight hours while the vehicle is in either DRIVE or REVERSE, the LED fog lights are on...acting as DRL's. The total cost for me to have them reprogram that feature was about $80.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FordEtis – the Online Technical Information and Services website from Ford.

FordEtis provides fast, online access to everything you need to know about servicing and repairing Ford vehicles.

If you are new to FordEtis, please choose About FordEtis to find more detailed information.

They want 8 euros per hour of access...also, WHY EUROS????!!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's 2016 Expedition EL has the LED fog lights. I took it to the dealership and they were able to reprogram it so that anytime during daylight hours while the vehicle is in either DRIVE or REVERSE, the LED fog lights are on...acting as DRL's. The total cost for me to have them reprogram that feature was about $80.

I turn on the low beam headlamps and the fog lights during daytime driving to serve as a DRL feature.

I'm still amazed that Ford does not offer the DRL feature on new vehicles, even at extra cost (other than the fleet purchase vehicles).

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Ford F150 and they would not enable the DRL's due to the fact it was not a fleet vehicle so I covered the dash sensor for now. On my old 2012 Expedition Limited and my new 2017 Ford Expedition I had the dealer enable it via the a laptop and the computer inside the vehicle. It works now.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can have the dealer change it with a lap top via your vehicle. They did that to both my old 2012 Expedition and 2017 Expedition. They would not do it for my 2013 Ford F150 because it was not a fleet vehicle.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They want 8 euros per hour of access...also, WHY EUROS????!!
Public access to ETIS is an EU compliance thing. In the EU they have certain laws around repairability and access to repair info and so they can't just say NOPE to access in the EU like they can in the USA. What they CAN do is make it prohibitively expensive for the layman to access it.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To summarize - The dealer can do it with Ford IDS. Some dealers don't know it possible, or won't do so because it was not an option for your year/trim that Ford offered. When the dealer will do it, they will often charge you 1-2 hours labor for the 5-10 minute change (including setup and connecting). If your dealer won't do it, or is going to charge an insane amount, you can use Forscan with an OBDII reader and a laptop computer. Forscan is a third-party utility.

DRL are required in Canada, so if your Expedition was original sold-to a buyer in Canada, Ford may refuse to change it also. Some previous rentals were sold in Canada, then used in the states, resold used in the states.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the factory driving lights additional lights or are they just the current lights (headlamps.foglamps) with something to turn them on?

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are your factory headlights on a lower voltage. The only thing is that your rear lights will not be on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357