Disabling auto start/stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This video of a guy with a Raptor shows how he disabled auto start/stop by removing disconnecting a cable from under the dash. Seems to work and I am going to try it and report any other issues.

What he unhooks maybe just the auto start/stop ignition control wires between the button and the starter module or something to that effect. I’m going to try it and see what I think. If it works it might be a satisfactory work around to easily disable and reenable at will without reprogramming or taking the dash apart.

EDIT- I tried it out and it does effectively disable the auto start/stop function. A side effect is that the blinkers have a more rapid blinking and audible alert, like twice as fast, but the external lights remain at normal speed. No other functions seem to have been affected. Don’t know for sure is Hill Assist or Traction Control is effected. Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in.

I plugged the wires back in and did a full vehicle restart. Normal operation auto start/stop returned. It did take a couple of full stops for it to start working but it worked. I had it unplugged for,about 30 miles then plugged it back in. Unplugged it again for a mile or two and plugged it back in with the resumption of the AS/S. “AS/S”. Hehehehehe

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still don't get why everyone hates on this so much. I'll take any gas savings I can get on a rig like this.
Agree. The system is really unobtrusive and the slightest movement of your foot starts the motor up again. Unless you're trying to set a new quarter mile record every time the light turns green, I just don't see any downside.

I hear the concerns about extra wear/tear on the starter and other components, but it's not like Ford is the first manufacturer to do this....this is a big thing in Europe and with European brands. They have beefed up components to deal with the added stress. I think it's naive to think this "feature" will not be on every model from every manufacturer within 5 years...and without the option to turn it off. I believe most European governments already mandate it.

Also, I bought an extended warranty, so if the starter wants to throw in the towel any time in the next 8 years, Ford is going to have to give me a new one.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t like that I have to opt out of AS/S rather than opt in. I would like some control over the system like changing auto stop to engage after two minutes of a standing stop or more or less. Where I live there are a series of stop signs that I have to go through and that is a lot of auto stops as far as I’m concerned. So much of the vehicle is out of my control. If I can pick the ambient light color I should have more control over AS/S. I think of ambient light selection as a distraction to make you forget Ford’s one size fits all attitude to performance. If I want my motor to idle while at intersections then that’s my choice. It should and needs to be configurable in the driver settings.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t like that I have to opt out of AS/S rather than opt in. I would like some control over the system like changing auto stop to engage after two minutes of a standing stop or more or less. Where I live there are a series of stop signs that I have to go through and that is a lot of auto stops as far as I’m concerned. So much of the vehicle is out of my control. If I can pick the ambient light color I should have more control over AS/S. I think of ambient light selection as a distraction to make you forget Ford’s one size fits all attitude to performance. If I want my motor to idle while at intersections then that’s my choice. It should and needs to be configurable in the driver settings.
Unless you are in "ECO" the AS/S shouldn't kick in at a stop sign. And if you are only lightly touching the brake, it certainly won't kick in as it really only does so if you "firmly" press the brake.

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you are in "ECO" the AS/S shouldn't kick in at a stop sign. And if you are only lightly touching the brake, it certainly won't kick in as it really only does so if you "firmly" press the brake.
well i can say driving in normal, that it has kicked in at a stopsign. cant tell me turning the engine off and back on in the space of about 2 seconds is saving any gas or doing anything to prolong the life of the engine. It's also really disconcerting when you cant turn the steering wheel. But for me it was the very noticeable shudder every time the engine kicked back in. No it's not a huge shudder, but i can notice it, and it annoys me.
Yes, you can avoid it with the lite foot pressure trick and such, but the point in the thread is simply, I should have the choice. And hitting the button (and then having the LED lit up all the time) is not really a choice. I would just love for the system to stay in the mode i put it until i choose to turn it back on. Or as someone else said, a configurable amount of stopped time (like even 10 seconds) would fix half the annoyances with the system.
Right now it feels half baked, and it's there to meet governance compliance and so they can compete with every other manufacturer doing MPG scores on a test. There are lots of really interesting threads out there discussing the actual fuel savings and engine wear, etc.

regardless, it's a personal choice. As Ford doesn't give me the option to turn it off by default, i choose to turn it off full time. There are times where i would love to turn it on, but they are far far outnumbered by the times the system just made me angry while driving.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BMW Dealers will turn off the system for you if you request, so the part about Europe is not truly germain and in reality this is a feature that should be controlled by the owner not the manufacturer.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It absolutely kicks on in “normal” mode when at a busy 4 way stop or at a cross traffic 2 way stop. Then, when you try to quickly accelorate to get into traffic you get engine lag. For me I can feather the brake to kick the motor on, but the wife not so much. It seems all Ford would have to do is program the functionality into the system. At any rate I ordered th cabling and downloaded FORScan in order to turn it off. Hopefully the FORScan community will discover a hack to have off as default.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the number one reason i HATE IT!!!!!! Pull into a parking space, engine shuts off, switch to park, engine turns on, then you have to turn off to go into store!!!! it is just annoying! i dont like it at all. i would use it some in heavy traffic and would like the option to turn it on at times, but i will definitely be killing it via forscan

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having driven the new ride for a couple months now disabling the feature has become part of the power up procedure for me. The auto start/stop on/off switch is right next to the parking brake switch in the Navigator so it’s not a biggie to remember.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357