Do second row captains slide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody seen those armrests sold anywhere? For reasonable money?

Are you going to convert your bench to captains chairs? If so, do you really think you need the arm rests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, sure seems like you’re thinking about a move to the dark side... :biggrin:

Have a heart and keep your beautiful 2017 rig!

nick
I am thinking about it but it's a good thing that I have a wife because she will overrule me if I try to do it. But, it's fun to think about doing it. :)

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm already considering trading up but it wont be until 19 or 20. I don't think Ford is gonna leave the new design untouched for 10yrs like they did the gen 3. They change the F150 in some sort of way every year which is what I think has helped make it such a good seller. I see Ford doing that with the Expedition in the next couple years

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you going to convert your bench to captains chairs? If so, do you really think you need the arm rests?

I already converted it long ago... just thought armrests could be kinda cool

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve always been the “drive it into the ground” kind of guy. Put just a hair under 300,000 miles on my last three vehicles. So I try not to buy into the “latest and greatest” mantra. But several of you guys have suggested that driving an expedition into the ground means 200,000 miles (I’m quoting someone in another thread) please tell me these trucks can hit 300,000 miles without me taking out another mortgage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always been the “drive it into the ground” kind of guy. Put just a hair under 300,000 miles on my last three vehicles. So I try not to buy into the “latest and greatest” mantra. But several of you guys have suggested that driving an expedition into the ground means 200,000 miles (I’m quoting someone in another thread) please tell me these trucks can hit 300,000 miles without me taking out another mortgage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would hope so! I know you’re speaking from and engine/drive train perspective but I’ll comment on interior build and quality. One thing I’ve noticed in all cars is that interiors are getting better over time. Cloth and even leather seats used to only look nice for a year or two. Now they seem to last many many years before showing any signs of wear.

My 1985 Mustang GT’s cloth seats ripped from wear in 1987. Then my 1991 Mustang GT’s leather seats started cracking in 1994 after only 3 years. Now they seem to last forever (or 5-8 years whichever comes first ;-).

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
This was done by another member back in 2007 and either he or I posted photos of the conversion! Not sure if photos from that era still exist here. Seats in my 2017 appear the same. There is (was?) a small carpet mat that fit on the floor in the center section to cover the holes left when the middle seat was removed. I pulled the center seat and tried it but retrofitted it quickly. My Expedition is primarily used for weekends and camping and the bench seat easily holds my three (3) Dachshunds without them falling thru to the floor. :)

Separate seats in the 2d row are very nice. For some folks. Shopping for a new Expedition early this summer almost every one were Limited models with captains chairs in the second row. Even the XLTs had these seats. Perhaps Ford was burning up the supply before the 2018 models? Finally found a dealer with the bench seats in June.

-- Chuck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Muddy Bean, with proper maintenance I don't see a problem with 300K. The issue that I see is keeping up after the body. Salt and winter take their toll on the rockers. So you will need to keep after keeping it clean and will probably have to replace the rockers 10 or 12 years down the road. If you are aware and you keep it properly coated and treated it could go the distance. If my 05 hadn't been rusting out so badly I would have kept it another couple of years. It was running good with 146K but it was going to need cam phasers, timing chains, etc in another 10,000 - 20,000 miles. I just didn't want to drop $8,000 in rust repairs and engine work to bring it back to first class condition. The dealership resold it very quickly after I traded it in.

summer-2 2016.JPG

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Muddy Bean, with proper maintenance I don't see a problem with 300K. The issue that I see is keeping up after the body. Salt and winter take their toll on the rockers. So you will need to keep after keeping it clean and will probably have to replace the rockers 10 or 12 years down the road. If you are aware and you keep it properly coated and treated it could go the distance. If my 05 hadn't been rusting out so badly I would have kept it another couple of years. It was running good with 146K but it was going to need cam phasers, timing chains, etc in another 10,000 - 20,000 miles. I just didn't want to drop $8,000 in rust repairs and engine work to bring it back to first class condition. The dealership resold it very quickly after I traded it in.

View attachment 22279

Wow, that was a nice looking ride.