"Don't try to replace spark plugs!" 2008 Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007EXPY

Reaction score
I replaced them with the Motocraft SP 515 I believe they were.
Not sure if they are one piece, consensus indicated to use these units.
I'm not sure if I am holding on to the vehicle, but if I do I will know to change them out again in another 35k or so

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I replaced them with the Motocraft SP 515 I believe they were.
Not sure if they are one piece, consensus indicated to use these units.
I'm not sure if I am holding on to the vehicle, but if I do I will know to change them out again in another 35k or so

I just had my 3rd set installed. 2 broke and they were motorcraft. My mechanic said only auto lites are 1 piece.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
..and be VERY sure that your engine is stone cold(sitting overnight) before attempting to extricate the plugs. Even on a regular aluminum head, you should never pull the plugs when the head is warm or you will risk bringing the threads with the plug.

Admittedly, cans/truck aren't my thing, motorcycle engines are but because of that, I have a lot of "aluminum experience" and that transfers to this......I don't know what some engineer at Ford was thinking with that 2-piece plug, but what a POS!

jeff

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.I don't know what some engineer at Ford was thinking with that 2-piece plug, but what a POS!

jeff
Whenever you see something FUBAR like this, it's almost always because they will save a penny or two in the cost of the part/building time. Some vice president sees a way to shave a cent or two on 5 million vehicles and he gets a candy bar and an extra weeks vacation. Multiply that times god knows how many parts and ways to save time putting vehicles together and you get a clusterf*ck vehicle, yet all the executives and shareholders are happier. Remember, historically they MAKE money when repairing these same screw ups because they then charge you by the hour. It's a perfect storm for the customer; they make more money selling you the car that they can now make cheaper, and make more money fixing it because of the FUBAR the did making the damn thing.

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Until they have to issue a recall on every set of tires or some other extra part and there goes a big chunk of profits

Hawaiianbasshead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a 1/4" drive 18v Dewalt cordless impact, took it for a cruise to get it to operating temperature and only ended up breaking the drivers side rear plug.

Pita is reaching in that far lol

20170207_140240.jpg

20170207_113030.jpg

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got new plugs ordered. Thankfully I have an 08 w brown boots. Think I'm good to go but will report back afterward.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As promised, a report. I changed my plugs this past Saturday. Changed the boots & springs too.

Engine build date, early 08. Brown boots.

Who knows if they were original plugs or not. (131K) They were Motorcraft, and that's what I went back with.

Went really well. The electrical connections on the passenger side, for some reason, were much more stubborn than the driver's side. The back ones on both sides were a pain, and I ended up breaking the little clip on the driver's side. Hopefully liquid electrical tape does the job to hold it on.

Started up and did a relearn, then went for a drive. Runs great, no codes, seems to have a bit more power. We'll see if it improves my 12.9 mpg (according to the readout in the dash) fuel economy.

mbed

Reaction score
As promised, a report. I changed my plugs this past Saturday. Changed the boots & springs too.

Engine build date, early 08. Brown boots.

Who knows if they were original plugs or not. (131K) They were Motorcraft, and that's what I went back with.

Went really well. The electrical connections on the passenger side, for some reason, were much more stubborn than the driver's side. The back ones on both sides were a pain, and I ended up breaking the little clip on the driver's side. Hopefully liquid electrical tape does the job to hold it on.

Started up and did a relearn, then went for a drive. Runs great, no codes, seems to have a bit more power. We'll see if it improves my 12.9 mpg (according to the readout in the dash) fuel economy.

I had improved my mpg (same calc'n) by installing a K&N air filter at first (up to ~13.4) and decided to go with the entire filter charger which replaces the filter to intake manifold section...increased it up to about ~13.9 avg and sometimes ~16-17 on highway trips...hth!