Door Ajar light WD and VSM didn't work!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin

Reaction score
Looking for help with door ajar light. I had most of the symptoms of a bad VSM. Examples are: Door ajar light, radio stays on after key off and door open, auto lamps not working, and head lights working when they want with manual switch on.
Things I've tried: WD40! And for the love of god I don't care if it worked for you! It didn't for me. Removed driver door skin and plugged in a new door ajar switch. Pressed with my finger to no avail. Bought a new VSM and had it installed and flashed.
Am I wrong in assuming the problem is in my driver door. My logic is my radio doesn't shut off when I open my driver door and there is no obnoxious key in ignition tone with door open.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The first person with the wd40 comment is getting smacked!!!!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is the Expy ? When you open any of the other doors does the radio shut off like it's supposed to?
So you replaced the driver's side door switch and that didn't fix it ? Unless there's something wrong with the contact area of the door latch itself that should've fixed it. Any damage to the switch's wiring harness that you can see? Has the truck ever been hit in the driver's door that you know of ?

-Mike

2003 door switch... newer ones are slightly different...
FordBaddoorjambswitch_zps58a0e222.jpg

Bottom of latch, where switch mounts.... a quarter turn releases the switch....
FordDoorLockmechanism_zps832d0b00.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

justin

Reaction score
It is a 2003 and no door turns off the radio.I never installed the new switch. I unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one. Pressed with my finger to no avail.
I checked the plug for the switch with a test light and there is no power there. Is that normal?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, no voltage in those door ajar harnesses, it is a grounding circuit. When you're sitting in the Expy with all the doors closed do your dome lights come on when you turn off the engine? I'm just wondering the condition of the ignition switch itself. Not the key lock part, but the actual switch part. That would kind of explain everything but the door ajar light. It might be two different problems combined. Or did all of these issues happen all together? Nobody's been kicking their feet under the dash in a tantrum lately right? You've looked under the driver's side dash for any loose wires? If you have the door ajar switch out again you can try grounding the harness pins individually with a test ground probe and see if you get a positive response. If it's not the ajar switch, it could be the harness connection itself (ground connection). This will just involve more indepth troubleshooting. But we'll find it.

-Mike

2003 Ford Expedition Factory Service Manual

OP
OP
J

justin

Reaction score
All of the symptoms showed up at once. Except head lights. They came very shortly after. Also yes, I do get interior and lights when I shut the ignition off. No tantrums in it lately except mine after paying to have VSM replaced and no fix!

OP
OP
J

justin

Reaction score
As far as checking for loose wires. I have checked all connections to the vsm. Wires running down behind fuse box. Removed all of the covers in door jambs. Removed parking brake pedal. Removed rubber in driver door jamb. Removed door skin. I checked all the wires I could see in the above mentioned locations and still haven't found anything.
I had the stealership do the diagnostic and the tech said there was a whole network down on the vsm. Is it possible I had 2 problems at once and need to go back to the door switch now that the vsm was replaced?

OP
OP
J

justin

Reaction score
Bedrck47..... I Dont know where in PA you live but if you are ever in Youngstown Ohio I owe you a beer. Also Hamfisted my next trip to Fl I owe you one too!
My problem was the wonderful purple wire splice! Also it fixed another problem I had ( 4x4 not working). I thought for sure it was the selector motor!
Huge thanks again guys!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure how you made the repair but the best way is to solder the connections and insulate with heat shrink and some good electric tape
Glad I was able to help and thanks for the offer.

Those pink or purple wire are part of the network By you giving that information in your post is what had me jump in with info about the purple wire. Its always nice when the correct information is given as it does help solve problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze