Door stuck shut and won't open from inside or out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heuster

Reaction score
So this door started with a problem with the child safety lock. It wouldn't disengage so that you could open the door from the inside. You could only open the door from the outside. Now, the door will not open from the outside so it is just stuck shut and I can't do anything with it.

Do I need to remove the door panel somehow? Neither the inside or outside handles are floppy. All the linkage is still intact - I'm about 99% sure it's something to do with the child safety lock being stuck and it has restricted the movement of both of the handles.

Last edited:

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good advice EXCEPT how do you remove the door panel when the door won't open???????

You can remove the rear passenger door panels while the doors are closed, guess the service manual does not cover that.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a flashlight to locate the two screws holding the lower panel in place, between the sill plate and bottom door panel, unscrew them.
Here is one , red arrow
2017-04-20 12.11.55.jpg

Remove the red reflector to remove screw inside
Remove the switch panel and disconnect wiring
Remove the inner door handle
Lift up on door panel an remove.

Check the rods to make sure there not bent, if they are, straighten them out, check what ever you need to.

OP
OP
H

heuster

Reaction score
Use a flashlight to locate the two screws holding the lower panel in place, between the sill plate and bottom door panel, unscrew them.
Here is one , red arrow
View attachment 20074

Remove the red reflector to remove screw inside
Remove the switch panel and disconnect wiring
Remove the inner door handle
Lift up on door panel an remove.

Check the rods to make sure there not bent, if they are, straighten them out, check what ever you need to.
That bottom screw I can't get to because the door is shut and the back seat is in the way.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get to the bottom screws with door shut, there is enough gap between the sill plate and the door panel to see the screws and remove.

The seats should not be in the way unless your trying to use a screw driver a foot long,

I just double checked on mine, i can get to both screws and remove easy

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As the op stated he can't get to his rear screw NOW imagine how hard iy would be if the seat was down

Next time post a pic with the door closed and show both screws