Downsizing Tyres from 20" Wheels to 18 ( or even 17")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nottmbantam

Reaction score
So, afer a couple of months with the Expy, I think I'm probably going to downsize the wheels froma 20" wheel and go down as far as possible, probably to an 18, maybe even a 17" wheel.

Two reasons for doing this.

Currently its on a 275/55/20 so it's quite a low profile and therefore quite a hard ride. I'd like a softer more comfortable ride, as I'm embarking on a long road trip next year and want a smooth comfortable ride. Essentially I'm looking for a bigger profile tyre.

Second reason is availability of tyres. The long road trip is driving the truck back to the UK, so in terms of sourcing big wheels, it's going to be tricky as there just isn't the availability of these big tyres. Most commonly available are 16 / 17s in various sizes.

Anyone done this before and were you happy with the outcome? In order to get the biggest profile I'd go down to a maybe a 17" wheel. Woudl it be possible / advisable to go down to 16's? I've noticed that all Expy's are all 18's - Im guessing there is a logical reason for this.

Cheers.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 18s in the States and the price for tires in this size isn't the greatest. The selection seems a little thin too.

Price out 17" tires and see if the wheels will clear your brakes.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
17" is probably the best size for selection of tires and prices.

I like the look of 18" on a larger diameter tire (i.e. 18" wheels w/ 33" - 35" o.d. tires) and the shorter sidewalls help the tires to feel less "flobbery" on the highway.

So, if you aren't planning any height upgrades I'd go to 17".

OP
OP
nottmbantam

nottmbantam

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and feedback, I think at this moment, I'm tempted to go down to 17", as these will be far easier to source in the UK / Europe.

TJ Toronto

Reaction score
It depends on the year and model of your truck. I have 20" on mine and decided last year to get Winter tires. I downsized the size of rim to a 18" because that was the smallest rim that would fit. 17" tims were too small.

OP
OP
nottmbantam

nottmbantam

Reaction score
The truck in question is a 2012, EL 4x4 XLT model. It came with 20" wheels factory fitted as far as I know.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 18s in the States and the price for tires in this size isn't the greatest. The selection seems a little thin too.

Price out 17" tires and see if the wheels will clear your brakes.

17" steelies are stock in barebones and gubmint trims for 3rd gen

1484165675437.jpg

Size is LT265/70r17

For ten bucks - $7 black plastidip, $3 tire shine - they look fairly passable....not great, but no longer entirely pitiful

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could probably trade 20's for 17's for $0 (crap tires on yours for new tires on theirs) or even make a few hundred if your rubber is good