Driver door doesn't latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Kuhlman

Reaction score
Help, my door doesn't latch when I shut it. I think its related to all the ice we got last night. My expy had a thin layer of ice all over it when I started it up this afternoon. I drove it again this evening and after parking it for an hour, The door wouldn't latch when I shut it. I had to hold the door closed all the way home, which was only a couple miles, thankfully.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same problem occasionally when it's cold and icy. I don't know how to prevent it short of keeping the truck in the garage. But if you manually work the latch and the door lock button several times it will usually work and the door will latch.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The weather could be the culprit, but I would purchase a new lock and door striker from either dealer or equivalent. Sounds like it's wearing out, and the weather is adding to the situation.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Doug Kuhlman

Reaction score
Update: I think all the moisture from the ice event is gone and the latch is working fine without incident the last couple days. I'm going to hit it with some white lithium grease and hope for the best.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having the same problem, I do the same as John Christopher, working my power door lock button up & down until it finally works. In my case, I found out the truck was in an accident with the first owner, who didn't
know what a Carfax was. When I get to it, I'll bet the plastic sheeting under the door panel was removed when they repaired the door. Maybe this is allowing more moisture into the locking mechanism which freezes up.
This doesn't happen to the passenger door, not used as much, but never repaired. With the door panel off, I will grease every part of the door mechanism to repel water and seal the door panel back up. Hopefully, this will solve the problem
Stephen

Plati

Reaction score
I started a thread called "door doesn't latch in freezing 03 expy" with some potentially good info. Nobody has come up with the definitive solution but I really think its the "door lock actuator". That thread has a video on replacing that.

update Feb 7: wouldn't latch back when it was around zero (F) ... not since

Last edited:

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont lock the doors. Put lock deicer down door lock button hole inside and inside actual latch inside the door. Pull the outside handle a bunch of times and even work the actuator inside the latch a bit if it wont catch. Park so that the sun hits the drivers door and it wont happen. I greased the heck out of it pre winter to no avail.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357