driver side passenger door stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kljfamily

Reaction score
2005 expedition xlt
2wd
power locks, power windows
85000 miles

Hello,

My drivers side passenger door will not open from the outside anymore. I have kids so the child safety lock is in place so I cannot open it from the inside either. I am assuming some linkage has broken in the door or in the handle. It there a way to get to it or get the door open? I can see the rear door bolts when I open my drivers door. Will removing those bolts let me take the door off even when its locked.

Will take any suggetions!

Thanks

Kris
Albuqeurque, NM

Moemantha

Reaction score
You'll have to struggle and get the interior panel off. Reach in the door and manually engage the linkage. Pretty sure the door panel is a lift off once u get the screws out.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do some research on how to get the door handle itself out on the outside and engage the linkage that way. I do not know the process, but if the door panels on the new ones are like the ones on my 97, you will have a hell of a time getting the interior panel off without the door open.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2005 expedition xlt
2wd
power locks, power windows
85000 miles

Hello,

My drivers side passenger door will not open from the outside anymore. I have kids so the child safety lock is in place so I cannot open it from the inside either. I am assuming some linkage has broken in the door or in the handle. It there a way to get to it or get the door open? I can see the rear door bolts when I open my drivers door. Will removing those bolts let me take the door off even when its locked.

Will take any suggetions!

Thanks

Kris
Albuqeurque, NM

Its pretty easy really. Open the other side's door and take off the door panel to get an idea of what you need to do to the door that won't open. The door panel just lifts up and off after you remove a few screws. Practice on the door that you CAN get open, then flop the seat forward to remove the screws on the side you can't yet open (those two screws along the bottom...). Once you get that panel off you'll be able to reach the activation mechanism. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

-Mike

Not My Ford

Reaction score
Its pretty easy really. Open the other side's door and take off the door panel to get an idea of what you need to do to the door that won't open. The door panel just lifts up and off after you remove a few screws. Practice on the door that you CAN get open, then flop the seat forward to remove the screws on the side you can't yet open (those two screws along the bottom...). Once you get that panel off you'll be able to reach the activation mechanism. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

-Mike
Hello, new here and looking for solutions to this same problem. The big hurdle is getting the interior panel off, as the bottom screws are not accessible when the door us closed and won't open!!!

Gawler

Reaction score
I now join the ranks with this problem... hoping to find an answer here... Anyone?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another solution with the child lock, would be to look on the other working door and get a sense for where the child lock lever is located and see if you can get in there with something flat and thin and flip it over to enable the inner door handle. Not sure if it's easier than just removing the inner door panel though, but it's an idea.. :)