Dual or Single Side Exit Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I am going to be putting a cat back exhaust on the Expy and need to know, is a dual side exit exhaust louder inside the cab than a single side exit? Reason I'm asking is the wife is the primary driver of the Expy and doesn't want anything loud. Either of the cat backs will have the Flowmaster 50 series muffler with it so thats about the best for low in cab resonance. It won't be a true dual just pipe from the cat to either single in dual out or single in single out, then pipes out to the back. So just wondering if a dual is any louder than single?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see it being any louder with 2 tail pipes from the muffler back. Are you going with side by side exit, or one on each side?

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to know about this as well... I have been trying to find some options for mine. Although, I prefer the twin exhaust side by side, straight out the back, rather than out the side. About the only option I'm finding is to go with a stock Navigator set up which shoots straight out, and tweak that to how I want it to look.
I'm more interested in a nice European look, like you'd seen on a BMW or Mercedes, rather than both sides like you'd see on pick up.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I KNOW I TRIED TO GET DUALS OUT THE BACK BUT ALL THE MUFFLER SHOPS I WENT TO SAID ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE OF THE FUEL TANK, REAR A/C AND OF COURSE THE SPARE TIRE SO I JUST GOT DUAL (NOT TRUE DUALS) OUT THE PASSENGER SIDE, ONE THING TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT IS IF YOU GET CHROME TIPS THEY WILL BE A PAIN TO KEEP CLEAN!!! HOPE THIS HELPS
SS041.jpg
SS009.jpg

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got a true dual with flowmaster 40s and took out 2 cats (i mean they r still there...lol) and both exit behind pass rear tire. No exhaust tips but probally gonna change it n do something different this spring when I put on the roll pan... wanted to do behind each tire but dont feel like replacing tips every other year so I dont know what i'm gonna do... but my set up is loud when i'm getting on it but just driving its not too bad

OP
OP

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have called a couple of different shops around here and one said dual would be no problem, and another said he would have to get it on the lift before he would know if he could do duals.

One more question: If I take it to the muffler shop and have them bend up and weld the pipe and muffler, will it have the same "performance flow" as say a cat-back system you can buy prefabbed (Flowmaster, Gibson, etc.)? Do I need to just make sure they use 3" pipe instead of stock size?

Thanks alot for the help!

03blkstanggt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
out of experience i like a cat back setup verses custom made ones. all the vehicles ive owned ive used catbacks or axlebacks, etc. my parents go to the muffler shops and when i go to look underneathe to see how they turn out it just looks butchered. it could be the fact that im a certified welder in local 602 but i just dont like how it turns out. just my .02

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am running cat back duals on my expy with 3 or 3.5 in tips (cant remember). i have them coming strait out back, one on either side of my hitch. like the sound, love the look, and i can still fit my spare tire under there. yes, they are a biotch to keep clean after offroading. but everyday driving isnt bad....