Eb rear air ride leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessegrange

Reaction score
I recently got a 98 eb. The guy i bought it from said it had an air leak. Every couple minutes the compressor kicks on. My question is which would be easier, fixing the leak or swapping it out completely. I plan on using it for mild off roading. I also am fairly mechanically inclined.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s personal preference, really. The air ride is prone to leaks, some say, but I’ve yet to have a problem, and for me the positives outweigh the negatives by far. Plus, it’s easier to work on IMO because you never have to worry about fighting spring tension when replacing shocks or the springs themselves.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on personal preference.

I have a '97 w/4 corner load leveling air suspension. had a front strut/air shock that started leaking after some high-adventure off roading. Check suspension light kept coming on everytime I started, but went out after a few mins of compressor running-sure this led to the compressor's catastrophic failure.

my suggestions: find the leak first by spraying soapy water solution around your connector and t's.. any codes set, i.e. check suspension light on?

fyi that there is an air union coupler under the master cylinder that is prone to failing/leaking for the rear bags. a relatively inexpensive part, small hands to get to it though.

The front are combo strut/air shock, whereas the rear are bags and separate shocks. I'd say you might have a hole in a rear bag. Not hard to replace, but methodical.

Parts: Air union coupler: Ford 2L1Z-5B322-AA
Front strut/shocks: Monroe 18570144 (most auto parts stores/or online)
Rear shocks: Monroe 37202ST (most auto parts stores/or online)
Rear Bags: Arnott A-2153 (ordered direct from Arnott: compressor and rear bag package)
Air compressor: Arnott G97NEPD (ordered direct from Arnott: compressor and rear bag package.)

let us know what you find.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with 1997, on everything but arnott air bags. I had them on a 89 Lincoln, they were a joke! They were half the size of the oem ones, but thicker to make up for it. Bottom line bags failed in less than a year, I paid difference and went with four steel coil springs. They were crap too! Way too soft for weight of vehicle. Just my 2 cents, but if it is a failed air spring, usually is, they have a life span of about 10 years less if your hard on vehicle. Either pop for a dealer oem one, or try another vendor. Post your results, or if you need additional help! A third option, if you like trolling wreckers, you might find a vehicle like yours that had a recent air spring change, that way you get them for cheap.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jessegrange

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll post updates when I can.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Doug Taylor

Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride. Make sure you find and fix the leak before it kills the compressor.

The Arnott rear air springs are actually assembled and tested for them by Continental ContiTech. According to Arnott's web site the air spring bladder "has a tested burst pressure of more than 480 PSI ... 6 times its working pressure" and of course they are backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

NOTE: Arnott recommends changing the Ford air dryer when replacing Expedition air springs. Moisture in the Ford air suspension system can damage your Expedition air compressor.

One of the important factors to consider when converting is if you plan on towing. The Auto leveling rear air springs are better for towing and towing safety. The Arnott coil spring conversion kit for the Ford/Lincoln SUV now include new heavy duty shocks.