Ecoboost Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoever designed the Ecoboost is these probably said "Oil changes are not my problem". I get the front up on ramps and use an small impact driver to get the cover off. Not a big deal. Drain the oil. Not a big deal. Replace the filter without making a mess. There's the problem.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a fan of the plastic covers underneath or the filter situation on the ecoboost, just complicates things.

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Even my 05 5.4 was sloppy with the filter change. Every oil change included a can of break cleaner to rinse the residual oil off of the block/front axle. A remote verticle oil filter with clearance underneath is apparently too much to ask for!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even my 05 5.4 was sloppy with the filter change. Every oil change included a can of break cleaner to rinse the residual oil off of the block/front axle. A remote verticle oil filter with clearance underneath is apparently too much to ask for!

Did your 05 not have the channel? mine has a plastic channel the oil from the filter drains to you just put the pan under it. I never get more than a few drops out of place and the changes are easy as can be.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Did your 05 not have the channel? mine has a plastic channel the oil from the filter drains to you just put the pan under it. I never get more than a few drops out of place and the changes are easy as can be.

No, it did. It seemed like the drip channel didn't extend back far enough. I always had a small stream of oil drip down the back end of the front differential. I always changed the oil with the front end jacked up, not on a vehicle lift though. Maybe that was the problem, giving it a nose up attitude.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not happy with the '16. I installed a drain valve on the pan to make it a little easier. The filter is the hardest to get to....have to reach up and do it blind.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate to admit this....especially as a building of high performance engines but I'm also pragmatic and it's just easier for me to pickup my Mobile 1 5-30 Syn, Pur S500 and give them to my local Grease & go guys who charge me 35 bucks....no muss, no mess and they are very good about wiping everything down.....

Ford just made it "not worth my time".....so I don't waste it....

jeff

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't change my oil anymore. I have it done for $25 to 28 so the savings by doing it myself is minimal. I'm curious why you guys continue to change yours. Is it because you like to know it's done right and get satisfaction working on your truck? I still do some maintenance and repairs on my vehicles, just not oil changes. Thanks