Ecoboost Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
So... I did the first oil change on the 17 on Saturday... What a pain in the ass... Glad the dealer gave me free oil changes for a few years. The only reason I did this change is I didn't want to keep the break in oil in there for 5k. With the front end jacked up, the filter residual ran down the back of the tin plate under the motor. the plastic channel is useless unless the truck is level. Both the felt-like panel below the transmission and the tin plate below the motor had to come off to be cleaned afterwards... This truck is apparently designed to have the oil changed completely level.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't change my oil anymore. I have it done for $25 to 28 so the savings by doing it myself is minimal. I'm curious why you guys continue to change yours. Is it because you like to know it's done right and get satisfaction working on your truck? I still do some maintenance and repairs on my vehicles, just not oil changes. Thanks

I do it so I know it's done right with the oil and filter I want to use. Takes me all of 10 minutes. I'm not a big guy so I scoot right under it with no jack drain it take the filter off put the new one in and refill it. Mine takes 7 quarts on the nose with filling the filter. I have it down to the point I can do it in my sleep and it's painless. On my 07 there is nothing that impedes though, no plastic panels or hard to reach filter, it's all readily accessable.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So... I did the first oil change on the 17 on Saturday... What a pain in the ass... Glad the dealer gave me free oil changes for a few years. The only reason I did this change is I didn't want to keep the break in oil in there for 5k. With the front end jacked up, the filter residual ran down the back of the tin plate under the motor. the plastic channel is useless unless the truck is level. Both the felt-like panel below the transmission and the tin plate below the motor had to come off to be cleaned afterwards... This truck is apparently designed to have the oil changed completely level.
I changed my 17’s oil at around 3000 mi for the same reason about break-in oil. I noticed the factory filter was longer than the MOTORCRAFT FL 500 that my manual calls for and it was only marked FO-MO-CO and no numbers. I guess that was just a break-in filter. I’d like to find out what number it was because there is plenty of room for a bigger filter like that one.
Did yours have a FO-MO-CO filter?

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I had... THere's plenty of room for a longer filter. It honestly would make changing it easier as it sits so far back.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I had... THere's plenty of room for a longer filter. It honestly would make changing it easier as it sits so far back.
I googled it and the long filters are MOTORCRAFT FL 2055 which are discontinued now. Might be able to find some old stock somewhere but the FL 500S is the new replacement number

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
just wondering, why not use the FL1A on the 351?

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My local Jiffy Lube wants $45 for regular oil, more for synthetic. I can do it for less than half the price.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just wondering, why not use the FL1A on the 351?
It’s got a factory oil cooler that the filter spins on and it looks like the old FL1A would have crossmember clearance issues.Back in the day all my work trucks and cars all took the FL1A and it was simple to just stock one size fits all... not anymore I have 2 diesel 7.3 trucks and both are different because one is non turbo and other a powerstroke, two 5.4 vans and my personal 351W F150 are all the same FL820S, but wife’s Escape takes FL910 and of course now the new Expy is the FL500s ,my 99 Jeep TJ takes little MOPAR filter and now my 390FE 69 Cougar is the only FL1A recipient left. I’m like Jiffy Lube in my spare time!