Ecoboost rear muffler/resonator removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Years ago I rerouted the exhaust of my Explorer to the side because the rear exhaust melted a tire off a bicycle I had on a rack back there. The 2007 Expedition was a side exhaust but since the 2017 is like the Explorer was I'm considering a side exhaust here too.

Any experience or parts?

-- Chuck

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I read the resonator was added, to quiet down the raspy exhaust on New models. Artificial, powerful sounding "exhaust" is pumped through the front speakers. Can anyone confirm, this is true? In vehicle that big, Ford could of hid resonator, under the body. A muffler shop can easily remove it. Just make sure they use stainless or you will be looking at a rusty tail pipe.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the resonator was added, to quiet down the raspy exhaust on New models. Artificial, powerful sounding "exhaust" is pumped through the front speakers. Can anyone confirm, this is true? In vehicle that big, Ford could of hid resonator, under the body. A muffler shop can easily remove it. Just make sure they use stainless or you will be looking at a rusty tail pipe.
I don't get any exhaust sounds pumped through the front speakers. I think that is only on the F150s.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't get any exhaust sounds pumped through the front speakers. I think that is only on the F150s.

Correct, No sound Augmentation on the 15-17 Expedition except Platinums. Maybe the 18+? My Edge Sport has it, and honestly I don’t mind it. Turned it off for a while and ended up turning it back on.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, I’m pretty sure my wife’s Platinum actually does the augmentation.
I can hear the engine in her truck way more clearly than mine despite hers being overall quieter inside and mine not having stock exhaust.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, I’m pretty sure my wife’s Platinum actually does the augmentation.
I can hear the engine in her truck way more clearly than mine despite hers being overall quieter inside and mine not having stock exhaust.

Yes, Only the platinum’s do it. I amended my original post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze