Edelbrock coil packs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven68502

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4. At 101000 miles I had the spark plugs and coil packs changed along with other typical stuff you normally do at around that mileage. (Struts, transmission fluid, coolant, etc). The place I used which I‘ve had great service with replaced the coil packs with Edelbrock branded coil packs. Mind you I never had a problem with the OEM (Motorcraft) ones that were 20 years old. About 5,000 miles later I get a misfire on cylinder #3. They replace the coil pack under warranty. About 1000 miles later misfire on cylinder #1. Again, faulty coil pack and it gets replaced under warranty. About 1000 miles later and 750 miles from home misfire on #7. I get lucky and find an off brand coil pack and a trip to the local Wal Mart to get some tools. I replaced the coil pack and all is good. (Thank goodness it wasn’t #4 or #8. Also thankful I brought my scan tool with me so I knew which cylinder it was.) I‘m going to see if they’ll reimburse me for the cost of the coil pack. I guess all of this is to say either Edelbrock makes bad coil packs, or they had a bad batch. And I have heard Ford engines don’t like aftermarket parts. I’m hoping to get them to change out all the coil packs for OEM. My fault for not checking on what parts they would use when doing the service.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The consensus is that ALL aftermarket coil packs are junk precisely because of the issues you experienced. The only coils you want to run are the genuine OEM parts.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only got 91k on my '03 EB and over the 17 years I've owned it I had 3 coil packs go bad. I'm sure they were OEM. The first one failed 12 years ago at 72,600 miles. The second one failed 4 years ago at 87,200 miles.The last one was about a year ago at 90,984 miles, I figured,enough of that and had all the coils and spark plugs replaced. I doubt they were Ford coils tho because they only charged $367 for 8 coils, not including labor of course.