Electric brake plug standard or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick2x2

Reaction score
Have a 2002 XLT came with what ford calls "trailer tow prep pack" have the Standard 4 way flat trailer Connection on it, But wanting to install electric brake module and a 7 way trailer connection. Went to my nearest auto-parts store got the module, a quick connect Adapter that goes from the module directly to the Ford pigtail connection under the dash, and a dual output adapter that connects the 4 flat to the 7way and I have to splice into the the connection where the factory 4 way is connected to the blue wire so that the module can work the brakes on the trailer. I found where to do the splicing under the SUV by the spare tire but I still can't find where the quick connect gose from the module to the factory plug that I keep reading about. I have taken down the lower panel under the steering wheel with no prevail. I did find a connection that looks like it that is Brown, but that one goes connected to some wires that lead into my steering column. Dose any one know if this factory Connection does exist in my vehicle or am I out of luck and just have to splice into the wires under my dash and run limes to the back. Any help Would be gladly appreciated.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Under the dash just to the right of the steering column there should be a 6 pin connector That is where the brake controller should plug into provided you have the correct adaptor for the controller

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you follow the wire harness for the 4 pin connector you will find it connects to the main harness near the spare tire. You can unplug the connector and replace it with a 7 pin trailer harness You should be able to get that harness from Ford or A salvage yard or from e-trailer.

You should NOT have to do any splicing as everything should be plug and play

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Check etrailer.com for this adaptor

Replacement Multi-Tow 7-Way & 4 Pole Trailer Connector
Item # 74682

OP
OP
R

Rick2x2

Reaction score
Have looked like crazy and still can't find connection. Everyone keeps telling me it's by the odb2 port.20170806_012025.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rick2x2

Reaction score
I did find a connection that looks like it but is already being used on20170806_012002.jpg the steering wheel column

OP
OP
R

Rick2x2

Reaction score
Thanks partner I'll take a look at it in the morning just been racking my brain Googling this all-night

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go to etrailer.com and enter in the part number just enter 74682

the adaptor will com up and you can then look at the install instructions