Electric fan conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.4T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all I'm trying to convert my 2006 navigator to electric fans using fans off a 2010 expedition. The controller I'm about to use is the Flex-a-Lite 31165.
1. My question is where can I find a + or - signal for the a/c?

2.Also I notice my truck runs 190 F. Is the thermo Stat not 185F?

3.How much voltage do the 2010 fan run @?

Sorry for alot of question. I could not find a guide for the second generation expedition or navigator.

MR. EDDIE

Reaction score
I ran two fans on my 03 and used a wire harness from a set of foglights i had laying around cause it had a relay and fuse already wired in. I got the trigger from the a/c wire I had used a power probe (test light) sorry dont remember the color of the wire, but u can grab it from the wireloom that runs on the passenger side of the timing chain cover.

As for the thermo stat the 185F is what it is rated for to open so at 185 it opens to allow for the rad to cool it down.

The fans will run off of the 12V from the battery , just make sure to wire in a relay and a fuse.

OP
OP
5.4T

5.4T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20170204_171206.jpg
I tried a black wire and a grey with white? Can't remember but both had power, even with the a/c off. This project should be done by end of March so far I have all the stuff needed for the task. I'm just trying to get more info on the wiring. I found every thing except a positive or negative A/C signal.

OP
OP
5.4T

5.4T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I have:
Flex-a-Lite 31165 controller
Electric fans off a 2010 expedition
10 Guage wire
20170203_170438.jpg
I had to fab the fans a bit but in the picture shows what they look like fresh from the box compared to the fan shroud.

MR. EDDIE

Reaction score
Looks if I didn't wreck my truck last week I would tell u exactly which wire it is due to the damage I can't open the hood.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
How did this conversion work out? I'm interested in doing the same but with a 2000 Expy. Currently have 2, 16 in. fans pulling 1500 cfm each but they don't seem to be able to keep it as cool as I want it to be when the outside temp goes 85+. Judging from your picture, it would fit without too much hassle. Was there a huge difference in CHT before to after the conversion?