Electrical gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben schreffler

Reaction score
I have an 03 expedition with a 5.4.
The door ajar light is on I also have no interior lights when I open the door the automatic head lights don’t work and the 4x4 doesn’t work and every once and a wile for no real reason it will all start working properly then go back out any help would be appreciated

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First you should check all fuses with a VOLT meter to make sure they are all good Check for input and output voltage. Looking at a fuse will not tell you if you have voltage and checking a fuse with an ohm meter may tell you it is good but again will tell if voltage is present.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/fuse-testing-101.24587/

You may have one or more bad door ajar switches This can cause the door ajar light to be on and also cause the interior lights not to come on and the door locks not to auto lock.

I would suggest that you get a can of WD40 or preferably a good spray lube and spray it into the door latch area You may have to do this a few times as the switch may be stuck.

If that doesn't work you than may have to pull the door panels and check the witches to see what one or more than one may be causing the problem

The 4X4 problem could be many things Start with testing fuses and the selector switch

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Auto headlight problem could be a fuse or the sun load sensor located in the center and on the dash That is a common fault

OP
OP
B

Ben schreffler

Reaction score
I was in the doors yesterday jumped all door ajar switches with a paper clip checked the wires in the a pillars the only thing I could not figure out was the rear hatch glass the door ajar switch must be built in to the latch it has four wires going into it not sure witch does what

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you read and understand wiring diagrams?
Do you have a multi-meter?
When you tested the door switches Did you do them one at a time or did you jumper all four at once?

Start the engine and have the radio on. All doors closed turn the key off the radio should stay ON.
Then shut the engine off and open the drivers door. Does the radio shut off or stay on?

Then do the same thing but this time open the passenger door Does radio stay on or does it shut off?

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual I suggested will have the prints in it along with connector views and much more

Don't waste your money on the aftermarket manuals.

I will send you the prints for the door switches shortly

Sending you a PM check your inbox

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni