Electrical Short that isn't Blowing a Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
During the winter a squirrel made a nest in the engine compartment by the battery by the firewall, it chewed through some wires. Well it turned over just fine but wouldn't fire . so I pulled the wiring harness out repaired the broken wires (I used the same gauge wire for each strand and used shrink wrap to adhere them instead of electrical tape) it started just fine for about 15 minutes, then it hesitated like it was running out of gas well with a 1/2 tank I knew that wasn't the problem so when I went to start it back up all it did was click like a bad starter, so I trouble shot it and found out the solenoid that is bolted to the starter was bad. Ok so I replaced the starter,well the same thing occurred so I looked at the it and the solenoid was extremely hot so I started looking for a short. The first thing I noticed was a spark when I put the battery back in the vehicle so I unplugged the light under the hood thinking that was it, well the same thing happen so after a long journey of trouble shooting I discovered no fuses are blowing and the starter solenoid keeps blowing . I kinda figured it's an electrical short but I'm in sure as to what would cause this without blowing any a fuse. Any Help will be deeply appreciated I'm puzzled thank's

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

To be honest I am puzzled also but I wouldn't be if you informed the forum as to what year expy you have.

You mentioned that you "used shrink wrap to adhere them instead of electrical tape"
Did you just twist the wires together or did you solder them together.

Can you read and understand wiring diagrams

OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
I twisted them together , I have a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer with a 5.4. I'm puzzled as to where to start what I done so far was take a test light and start pulling fuses and the light only went off when I pulled the 50 amp battery feed to the fuse box on the fire wall and I have wiring diagrams but I'm unsure as to where to start.I traced the wires going to and from the starter an they all seem to be ok and in place per the diagram.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If everything is wired back correctly the solenoid on the firewall is stuck in the "on state". This can be from welded contacts in the solenoid or the ignition switch is stuck on start.

The starter should also spin at this point. Since it isn't, I would check for low voltage at the starter.

Don't just twist wires together, solder then use heat shrink tubing over the splice.

OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
I was thinking of replacing the solenoid on the firewall. I'll replace the solenoid and check the voltage. thanks for the response I'll repost when I get this far thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the battery still connected remove the small wire on the firewall mounted solenoid. Using the meter check for DC volts between this wire and ground. Should have zero volts.
Next check the two large studs on the solenoid the same way but leave them mounted. The side closest to the fender should read battery voltage while the other should read zero.

Your readings should be as follows:
0v
12+v
0v

OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
When I tested the small wire to a body ground I have 0 when I test it to the negative side of the battery I get 4 Volt's and when I test the solenoid prong having the smaller red wire I have zero volt and the solenoid prong having the large red wire I have zero volt - my selonied prongs are up and down

14950299845641953750401.jpg