Electrical Short that isn't Blowing a Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
well I checked the circuit as instructed putting the positive lead from the meter on the positive post on the battery and touching the lower post on the solenoid on the firewall, the meter read less than .2v when my helper was holding the key to the start position Here is the meter I'm using with voltage setting
unnamed.jpg

It read .040 on the meter

i

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That result tells you the amount of resistance in that portion of the circuit is very low, well within spec.

Normally the next step would be to perform the same test but move the black lead to the positive stud on the starter. Most meters don't have leads long enough to do that so you end up making an extended lead with 2 alligator clips and a length of wire.

If you don't want to make one then read the voltage going to the starter. Red lead on the starter stud - black lead on battery negative post if close enough or chassis ground. Attempt to start the engine. You should see the same voltage at the battery and this test when attempting to start. You should see 0 volts all other times. Always perform electrical t/s with a fully charged battery.

Post the results please.
Battery voltage & voltage at the starter

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
Well with the Battery Having 12.84 v I used these test leads I moved the Black lead from my meter to the positive post on the starter and had my helper hold the key in the start position the result is.01vIMG_20170523_182004250.jpg

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Red lead on the starter stud (on the starter) - black lead on battery negative post if close enough or chassis ground.

If you left the red lead on the battery positive and the black lead on the positive post on the starter post then that tells you the resistance on the positive side of the circuit is well within spec - as long as the circuit is closed when the ignition switch is turned to start.

It would still be good to know what voltage is going to the starter per the quote above when attempting to start the engine

Once you have that voltage reading check the negative side of the starter circuit. Red lead on clean metal on the starter body, black lead on negative battery post. Attempt to start. Reading should be less than .1v.

OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
Well I had the black lead on the negative battery post and the red lead on the starter post the reading is 12.84v . When I put red lead on the starter body and the and the black lead on the negative battery post it read .1v