Engine Bay cleaning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mmmmmeh! I did something stupid when changing my coolant and ended up with coolant and chemical flush all over my face, hood, garage door, and engine.

I hosed it down lightly while it was running (and a bit later while it wasn't) and everything was fine.

And, on a separate note, dont ever put cold water on hot metal (like a running engine) or any water at all on running electrical stuff....

Sooo many ways to jack up sooo many things that way

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I completely respect you guys that say don’t use water to wash an engine bay, so don’t take my alternative view as a knock, but rather just an alternative viewpoint. Every single vehicle I’ve owned (all 13) I’ve washed the engine with high pressure water. Never has it been an issue. I can’t say for sure that it won’t be for you, but I’ve already high pressure engine decreased my 3.5TT in my EL without any issue. And I soaked it. Big time. It’s gorgeous now. Should have taken a pic.

If you want to really make your aluminum shine, get a good aluminum brightener (I buy a gallon jug of it at NAPA) and dilute it a bit with water and then spray it on your engine. Don’t get the stuff on your painted surfaces if you can help it. Let it sit for a bit and then rinse it really well. Will clean and brighten even the saddest metal bits. Awesome stuff. Don’t breathe it in. Anyway, I’ll always powerwash my engine bay. I don’t aim the nozzle directly at any electronics nor do I even get the nozzle very close to any surface in the engine bay for that matter, but it does do a good job. And use a good engine degreaser (gunk or the like). Spray it down good with the stuff and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. Be patient, it needs time to emulsify the grime. Then power wash it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I completely respect you guys that say don’t use water to wash an engine bay, so don’t take my alternative view as a knock, but rather just an alternative viewpoint. Every single vehicle I’ve owned (all 13) I’ve washed the engine with high pressure water. Never has it been an issue. I can’t say for sure that it won’t be for you, but I’ve already high pressure engine decreased my 3.5TT in my EL without any issue. And I soaked it. Big time. It’s gorgeous now. Should have taken a pic.

If you want to really make your aluminum shine, get a good aluminum brightener (I buy a gallon jug of it at NAPA) and dilute it a bit with water and then spray it on your engine. Don’t get the stuff on your painted surfaces if you can help it. Let it sit for a bit and then rinse it really well. Will clean and brighten even the saddest metal bits. Awesome stuff. Don’t breathe it in. Anyway, I’ll always powerwash my engine bay. I don’t aim the nozzle directly at any electronics nor do I even get the nozzle very close to any surface in the engine bay for that matter, but it does do a good job. And use a good engine degreaser (gunk or the like). Spray it down good with the stuff and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. Be patient, it needs time to emulsify the grime. Then power wash it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The top of a 5.4 v8 is NOT waterproofed... not sure if they thought they were making it to be waterproof or not, but fact is it just ain't. Period.

The 3.5 TT Eco looks like it has a fairly solid cover on there though. Nothing much to hose, however, just wipe it off with a cloth when its cold.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA326604-89B3-4AF0-B6FB-8EAB9AB3823A.jpeg
938D4467-A1CE-4468-AE71-49748AFD1A2A.jpeg

I have a big plastic cover, didn’t save me lol. Now that i look at this pic i have to tighten down the right side, i had it off when i changed my serpentine belt tensioner.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 22591
View attachment 22593

I have a big plastic cover, didn’t save me lol. Now that i look at this pic i have to tighten down the right side, i had it off when i changed my serpentine belt tensioner.

Whoa, I didnt even realize ours came with covers, USFS must have lost or chucked mine....

Looks like you hosed her down ~real~ good (or at an angle from the side) to still drown a plug & coil with that on

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa, I didnt even realize ours came with covers, USFS must have lost or chucked mine....

Looks like you hosed her down ~real~ good (or at an angle from the side) to still drown a plug & coil with that on
My 05 didn't have a cover.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m with Muddy. I’ve washed every engine in every auto I’ve ever owned with a power washer and never once have had an issue. Guess we’re just lucky

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why wash it?

So it looks all shiney on the shoulder with the hood up all "Found On Road, Dead"?????