engine block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you put the heaters INSIDE the vehicle? i see a car fire in your future! hahah. i may do an engine block heater when i move back to iowa. it has been shown that letting your vehicle idle in the morning really doesnt do much except waste gas. at least with a block heater, you just jump in and go.

Trust me...20 year veteran of the fire service here and I am super paranoid about electrical fires, etc, especially when it comes to my vehicles. The heaters are inside the vehicle, but I took the following precautions:

1. Heaters have a tipover shutoff
2. Heaters have an overheat shutoff
3. Contractor grade heavyduty extension cords
4. Cords are run to GFI outlet
5. Heaters are run on the lowest fan setting, with the heat set mid-level
6. Heaters are sitting on the center console, aimed toward the rear of the vehicle, with nothing combustible anywhere near them (nearest thing in the path of the heat is the rear seat).

We don't use them every night, but I've used them over a dozen times so far with no issues at all. The first few times, I actually did get up several times during the night to check on them. Even now, if it is windy, I check as well.

Chrismdean09

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would plug it in what can it hurt plus overall the hardest part on an engine is starting when the oil has dripped down into the pan so i always try to keep it plugged in when possible just because overall its better. However you dont have to its just a good thing to do though

Chibrew

Reaction score
I have a 05 EB that I bought used and it came with a block heater. The cord was in with the spare tire. I found it when I was looking for the relay and fuse for the HD trailer package. Anyway living in Chicago, I don't need it, but I use it since it is there. The truck warms up real quick in the morning. It's something I'd never install or go out of my way for, but since it's there, why not use it.

OP
OP
panda24619

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i met up with navy and looked at it and the cord goes right into the block. so the only thing it can be is a heater. i want to test it out one day. just to see if it works. haha

ZentineZ

Reaction score
plug in

I have a 98 EB and have a factory one also I plug it in all the time and I live in AZ,,,,,,,,, yes AZ but I live up north its been geting in the teens and below zero so,,,, to your question, yes I would plug it in if it works?

OP
OP
panda24619

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just want to see if it works. even if i go to the snow i dought ill need it but i just want to see. haha

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 92 F150 straight six came with a block heater, but hell, I started that once when it was -35 and it started right up without the heater. Not much for power, but had 250 k and didn't even burn or leak oil and never gave me a problem. Anyway, you should be good without the block heater plugged in. My 4.6 starts up fine here in Laramie, and we have had -10 with -35 windchill the last week. I will have to check if mine has a block heater.

ecqm8000

Reaction score
You can do a contunuity test. Some of these heaters are thermostat controlled. That is if you plug it in when the engine is warm and the weather is also, you might think it does not work. The core/freeze plug styles are on/hot when plugged in. When I plug my F350 in to a "hot" extension cord, I can usually hear an "arc" (buzz) sound. I have wired a switch to my power source to avoid shocking myself when the plug is covered with moisture. The next morning, the block around that core plug will be warm to the touch (compare to the oil pan) and your temp gauge will show heat when the truck is started. If your heater has gone unused, there is no reason in my mind to think it is bad. A well used heater is the one I would suspect. Just like any electric heating element, they will go bad eventually. The aftermarket Zerostart (3100040) kit list for for less than $37. So it is not a big deal to install or replace one (if you've drained the coolant first).