Engine dies after crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaybee127

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!
I am having an issue with my 2006 expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 that has just started happening recently. Whenever I start the engine it starts right up then the rpm keep slowing down til it stumbles and dies. When I try restarting it then it spins over and over with no start. I switch the key on and off a couple times then it starts right up most of the time and runs fine with no problem or drivability issues after that.

Here's what happened with it today....cranked it up to go to work fired right up back out of garage put in drive went about 100 ft engine died. Turned key to start engine spun over and over no start. Turned key on and of twice engine fired right up and drove to work (20 mi) no problem. Go back in it to go to lunch. Cranked right up ran fine. After lunch cranked right up then died. Turned key on and off, started right up. Went to leave work, cranked right up drove back home no problem. After sitting a couple hours got in it to go to town (4 mi) shut off to go in store. Came back out 10 min later started it up and it stumbled and died. Tried cranking without switching key off, spun over and over no crank. Turned key of and on couple times, started then stumbled and died again. Turned key on and off a couple more time then cranked, started right up and drove back home no problem. Any ideas, sorry for the long explanation. I know the more info the easier it is to help. Thanks for your help.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Post the results.

Also check the Fuel Pump Drivers Module You can check on youtube for information on that module

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to check fuel pressure. It could be a dirty fuel filter or a problem with the fuel pump.

OP
OP
J

jaybee127

Reaction score
Ok,
Thanks guys. I will try and check this when i get home and post results here.

OP
OP
J

jaybee127

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to check the fuel pressure sorry it took so long. The fuel pressure at the rail is a bout 40 psi got a code of P0191 check engine light is on

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copied from the 06 Service Manual

P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
Description: The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) checks the fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor for an acceptable fuel pressure. The test fails when the fuel pressure falls below or exceeds a minimum/maximum calibrated value for a calibrated period of time.
Possible Causes:
  • High fuel pressure
  • Low fuel pressure
  • Damaged FRP sensor
  • Excessive resistance in the circuit
  • Vacuum leaks
  • Low or no fuel
Diagnostic Aids: A FRP PID value during key ON, engine running of 138 kPa (20 psi) to 413 kPa (60 psi) is acceptable.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test DD .

Again check the Fuel Pump Drivers Module for any signs of corrosion

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to determine the fuel pressure after it dies but before you cycle the ignition key on/off. If there is still 40psi on the rail once it dies then the problem lies elsewhere.