Engine/tranny shutters/bucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulT

Reaction score
2006 Ford Expedition
Engine/tranny shutters/bucks, it seems to happen when traveling at constant speed, low RPM (40-45 mph, 60-65 mph, etc) and need to accelerate. Almost feels like tranny trying to down shift or searching for correct gear (similar feeling if I was driving a manual and in wrong gear). Did some web searching and consensus seems to be the plugs and COP not the tranny.

Any help would be appreciated. And of course the plugs have are over 100K miles on them so the other issue is mechanic trying to remove them with out breaking electrode shield (TSB 08-7-6)

Juan Alvarez

Reaction score
I have the a very similar issue. Mine shutters at 40-50 mph during low level acceleration. If I do high level acceleration it will not shutter. It doesn’t seem to affect it much as the RPM stays somewhat constant and the truck keeps on accelerating with no issue. After that it doesn’t shutter past 50 mph. My 1999 5.4 Eddie Bauer only has 87,000 original miles and I have changed out the spark plugs .Hope someone with experience helps us out.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, it does not do it if I turn overdrive off

Tranny, then

Check and refill fluid, see if that helps.... faaaar cheaper than other more drastic tranny services

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could also change the fluid, but that runs the risk of making it mostly undriveable if your transmission is that far gone.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01