expedition and explorer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 2018 expedition was unleashed to us weary waiters today, and from what i can see, reaction is...mixed. idk if ford expected such a lukewarm reception to it, but it seems they tried to appeal to everyones wishes, svelte and sporty, ditch the blocky old design but re add f150 styling, which o think they did pretty well. everyone has their own personal preferences on looks but i have seen thoughts that it wasnt trucky enough, it was too crossover like, 2 much explorer influence, but my question is, what makes this design different from every other gen. every gen of expedition borrowed its design from the explorer, even the first gen. the explorer came out before the f150 so its safe to assume they used its influence. from then on, the expedition never actually used the f150 styling, or atleast to me it always seemed closer to the explorer to the point where it borrowed/modified more from the explorer than f150(50-50 split for 07). the new one looks hlf 11 exp, hlf 18 f150, and straight took the dash from the truck. as for the body work, their is no truck on the market using a blocky design except the wrangler, which was never in the expys class. if anything, the design is a little too late, and why it looks so contemporary. is their so much hate with the design, my question. im not saying anyones wrong by this post, jus wondering why this is?

2017-nissan-armada-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-665861-s-450x274.jpg

2007-Ford-Explorer.jpg

leftfront.jpg

download.jpg

18epd_Gallery_31_940.jpg

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i cant edit, the second gen explorer came out before the 1st gen expy and related gen f150. sorry for confusion.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
after the unveiling or leaked vids i should say, ill admit, i was underwhelmed. but after reading some details and seeimg some pics i must im happy and looking forward to owning one of these rigs. here are some of my thoughts and impressions for the expy:

1. the expy itself is quite a looker in most angles, but i find myself enamoured by the max edition. the lwb version looks better proportioned than the swb. theres a perfect blend btw modern crossover svelte, and butchy truck machoness, but the blue doesnt do it any favors. speaking of, certain colors make the desgin features pop(red, white) while others make it look kinda dowdy (gray, blue).i like the blofe colored auto run boards with chrome trim, chrome mirror caps, the headlight design and the little airdam underneath the grill.

2. i still think the f150 dash is a bit dated and out of place in it, but the interior was very well done. from the cup holders, the space utilization to seat design and features, im impressed by how modern and family friendly they got the interior, its almost minivan like, and might i say almost foreign in feel. i also believe the platinum will have a piano black finish to the dash trim instead of the plastic trim on lower models.

3. there may be an additional engine option, but i think the platinum model will have a different tune than the others. looking at the site, if you click on the lone pic of the limited model, the engine specs are listed as "standard" and mirrors the current engine specs. probably not raptor tuned but maybe current f150 tune while the std option is the current emgines tune.

4. I hope most of the safety features added are standard to prevent the price from being unreachable. its these features that prevent the current truck from being a safety pick+, so hopefully most of these are bundled in with the lower spec models. speaking of features, theres soooo many.

5. though its been unveiled, the details of it are particularly light, which makes me believe theres some other version of this truck to be revealed, whether a powertrain edition, or a new model (titanium, sport)

in all, the truck is finally modern amd definitely relevant again. its always been hampered by outdated design and features, but at its core, been the best at what it did. now with hlf of its competitors and a whole a other class (large crossovers) gaini g relevance, if price stays competitive, this truck will win back many sales. im just waiting on the configurator to build and price mine, but we still have a navigator to see. if the expy is anything to go by, i think the navi is gonna blow ppls minds.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
damn, looks like my daughter's Hyundai Tucson on steroids. Too Crossovery, they now have that back blind corner like the crossovers you can't see out of. And just by the pic looks like we may have lost a little room in that back seat/storage area. I like the older models design, very functional. Even the gen 1 are very good looking rigs and although old are still very nice looking.
Maybe they tried to Crossover it (that seems to be the market) so as when they come out with the Bronco they can have the truck version.
The Bronco Raptor Talon, turbo 5.0, lockers front and rear, 31" tires factory

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why did you start two threads.

Anyways I think it looks to much like the Explorer. Not a fan of them visually if I was I would have bought an explorer lol. It's a nice looking truck don't get me wrong but I think my 17 EL looks better. My guess is the Platinum will get the 3.5 that's 375/470 and the lower models will get the 3.5 we have now that's 365/420. Which if that's the case then that upsets me. It sounds like the only way to get the better motor is to buy the Platinum. When it comes to the F150 you can buy any trim and get it with any motor. Should be the same on the Expy. Who knows maybe it will. But after looking at the Ford site it doesn't appear that way.

Anyways it's a nice fresh needed update and I like it.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Which is which? Is the orange one an expy or explorer? Either way orange one is ugly AF, the white... Ehhh not as bad.

But seriously which is which here???

EDIT: I just checked out the expy on fords site, omg this thing is a complete disaster... First impression is I hate it 100%
Looks like a cross over now

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How's the 1st gen Expedition related to the 2nd gen Explorer? Other than it being a 4 door SUV with a solid rear axle and an independent front suspension, they are pretty different.

The 1st gen Expedition literally shares part numbers with the 10th gen F-150: sheet metal, interior, engine, transmission, drivetrain, suspension, steering, brakes

The new Expedition helps to cement my desire to keep mine.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i started two threads because they are two different ones lol, but i guess ppl are sharing there thoughts on here so its makin the other one redundant.

the orange truck is a nissan armada, i couldnt put all the pics i wanted, but the point was to show that all new suvs share a basic body design that the expy is now using. in essence, this is a product where drag coefficient was probably a priority due to gas mileage regs as well, which is why most suvs and crossovers follow the arrow like body design. yes the armada is kinda ugly.

the 2nd gen explorer and 1st gen expy share design concepts, but the expy shares parts with the 10th gen f150, but what i was saying was design wise, easpecially from 2nd gen back, the expy only shared parts with the f150 but never really followed it design wise, it always looked like a bigger bolder explorer. i think they did they best to appeal to everyone, and as a result, it may have hit harder to diehard fans.

also, im pretty sure ford is gonna put the diesel in this thing, but the f150 needs to prove its relevancy, this has always been a ford thing, the f150 debuts and tests certain new products and once its fine tuned gets trickled down to the other vehicles including the expy. i never expected the diesel to launch with the teuck but i bet they are testing it in an expy though

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To me it seems to have a GM influence. Kinda Cadillacish. I don't think it's a bad looking vehicle. My biggest turnoff with it is the rotary knob shifter... not a fan.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it looks good and delivers most of the options and features that are missing from my 2016. As long as it still has a great tow rating for my trailer I'm all for a bit of luxury. I don't mind the rotary shift knob but wish it had the column shifter like my GL550 had. Small stalk with up for reverse, down for drive, and button on the end for park. Freed up lots of space on the console, which by the way is now covered in some pretty snappy looking wood! Nice!