expedition and explorer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping that it would see more benefits from the aluminum body (IIRC its only 300 lbs lighter) and the front looks like the previous generation Explorer patched onto a Suburban. I'm not a fan of the "chopped" look with small windows, although it seems all manufacturers are doing this (which is why we have backup cameras and blind spot detection now...). I do like the interior shots but am not sure about the rotary gear selector.

I guess I better snap up a 15-17 before they are gone!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it...but staying with getting the navigator...the interior is still lacking to me...the entire radio and climate area is still lacking to me

Mr. 10K

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like a Flex that's been scaled up, but not well. I'd rather have the Flex for the people mover aspect, and an Explorer if I didn't need all the cargo space.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To me it seems to have a GM influence. Kinda Cadillacish. I don't think it's a bad looking vehicle. My biggest turnoff with it is the rotary knob shifter... not a fan.
me either, ditch the shifter knobs on the console...and make the console big enough to put stuff in.

in fact my complaint list on my 2016 EL is pretty small.
1. center console is horribly small.
2. no real good lockable interior storage
3. wasted unused storage space in the 3rd row big plastic trim panels

Last edited:

botts

Reaction score
after the unveiling or leaked vids i should say, ill admit, i was underwhelmed. but after reading some details and seeimg some pics i must im happy and looking forward to owning one of these rigs. here are some of my thoughts and impressions for the expy:

1. the expy itself is quite a looker in most angles, but i find myself enamoured by the max edition. the lwb version looks better proportioned than the swb. theres a perfect blend btw modern crossover svelte, and butchy truck machoness, but the blue doesnt do it any favors. speaking of, certain colors make the desgin features pop(red, white) while others make it look kinda dowdy (gray, blue).i like the blofe colored auto run boards with chrome trim, chrome mirror caps, the headlight design and the little airdam underneath the grill.
Definitely agree that the LWB version looks better proportioned. It also definitely has colours that look better than others.
2. i still think the f150 dash is a bit dated and out of place in it, but the interior was very well done. from the cup holders, the space utilization to seat design and features, im impressed by how modern and family friendly they got the interior, its almost minivan like, and might i say almost foreign in feel. i also believe the platinum will have a piano black finish to the dash trim instead of the plastic trim on lower models.
This is huge. The extra 2nd row leg room alone is enough for me to consider upgrading. Adults will finally be comfortable in the 2nd row for long trips. I think the dash improvements will primarily be focused on the Navigator not the Platinum. Guys still want "truck-ish."
3. there may be an additional engine option, but i think the platinum model will have a different tune than the others. looking at the site, if you click on the lone pic of the limited model, the engine specs are listed as "standard" and mirrors the current engine specs. probably not raptor tuned but maybe current f150 tune while the std option is the current emgines tune.
Ford up and says that about the Platinum's higher tune. I think they almost have to though, GM puts the 5.3 in the basic truck's and the wonderful 6.2 in the Denali & Escalade.
4. I hope most of the safety features added are standard to prevent the price from being unreachable. its these features that prevent the current truck from being a safety pick+, so hopefully most of these are bundled in with the lower spec models. speaking of features, theres soooo many.
I think you'll see most of the features in the medium trims, but you'll likely lose adaptive cruise, park assist, and 360 cameras from the middle trims. I wouldn't be surprised if XLT and below have just one backup camera and not even BLIS though.
5. though its been unveiled, the details of it are particularly light, which makes me believe theres some other version of this truck to be revealed, whether a powertrain edition, or a new model (titanium, sport)
I wonder if we'll see some suspension announcements for the Platinum soon as well. The Expedition/Navigator has always rode like a truck compared to the GMs with MagneRide.
in all, the truck is finally modern amd definitely relevant again. its always been hampered by outdated design and features, but at its core, been the best at what it did. now with hlf of its competitors and a whole a other class (large crossovers) gaini g relevance, if price stays competitive, this truck will win back many sales. im just waiting on the configurator to build and price mine, but we still have a navigator to see. if the expy is anything to go by, i think the navi is gonna blow ppls minds.
The Navigator should finally be able to justify it's price if all goes well.

Why did you start two threads.

Anyways I think it looks to much like the Explorer. Not a fan of them visually if I was I would have bought an explorer lol. It's a nice looking truck don't get me wrong but I think my 17 EL looks better. My guess is the Platinum will get the 3.5 that's 375/470 and the lower models will get the 3.5 we have now that's 365/420. Which if that's the case then that upsets me. It sounds like the only way to get the better motor is to buy the Platinum. When it comes to the F150 you can buy any trim and get it with any motor. Should be the same on the Expy. Who knows maybe it will. But after looking at the Ford site it doesn't appear that way.

Anyways it's a nice fresh needed update and I like it.
Ford has been using the engines as a differentiator in their SUVs for a while. You can't get the 2.7L in the Edge in lower trims or the 2.3L in the Escape. The Explorer doesn't get the 3.5L EB until you hit Sport or Platinum.

GM also limits the 6.2L to the Denali and Escalades.

I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping that it would see more benefits from the aluminum body (IIRC its only 300 lbs lighter) and the front looks like the previous generation Explorer patched onto a Suburban. I'm not a fan of the "chopped" look with small windows, although it seems all manufacturers are doing this (which is why we have backup cameras and blind spot detection now...). I do like the interior shots but am not sure about the rotary gear selector.

I guess I better snap up a 15-17 before they are gone!
I think it may be the other way around, the increased visibility tools allow for the smaller windows. I really don't think it is that much of a glass loss though, I mean the edge 2 inches of the current Expy windows are effectively painted black. I like the rotary gear selector, I just wish it was on the dash! I'd love a clean console. Heck, I looked into switching my truck to column shift.

I like it...but staying with getting the navigator...the interior is still lacking to me...the entire radio and climate area is still lacking to me

Mr. 10K
Yup. Radio / Climate controls are 100% the current Ford look, the Lincoln should clean up this area nicely.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked about the upgrade. The 8" length boost most of all. The media features look pretty stellar as well.

botts

Reaction score
me either, ditch the shifter knobs on the console...and make the console big enough to put stuff in.

in fact my complaint list on my 2016 EL is pretty small.
1. center console is horribly small.
2. no real good lockable interior storage
3. wasted unused storage space in the 3rd row big plastic trim panels
You can get a pistol case for inside the console if you really need lockable storage.
I find the centre console is a good size, just seriously lacking in organization.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
What a let down! They turned it into a prissy SUV. It looks like a women designed it...for women. The 1st Gen, sold in huge numbers. Ford lowered the body in 2003, for women drivers and sales dropped. now it is a full blown SUV. They changed the one thing people loved about it...it was a truck. Mini vans and crossovers, have this segment covered. The dial shifter, says it all, how un-manly. I expect it in a Subaru, but a Expedition? The front looks the same as the Explorer. The side view reminds me of the Chevy Tahoe. They can keep the wifi and sync, not worth 2-cents, but cost $500-$600. The EcoBoost is fine, but why no diesel or V8? I am hoping for Bronco or Raptor version.