Expedition Ecoboost Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeff, I appreciate the question.

I have had A LOT of experience with tuners over the years, most in the VW and Truck Diesel world. I have learned to tell the good from the bad.

Honestly LMS is top notch! I use them for my Edge, and they really aren't what I would call canned tunes. Anthony@LMS will tweak tunes, and you get 4 on the tuner at any point. You don't like the 4 you have, just put in a request, have him make some changes, and hook the tuner up to your laptop, and it pulls down the updated tunes. Plug it in to the car, and load the tune, and drive. There is ZERO you can change on the tuner as far as shift points...or anything else. They are on base tune revision 3, that was released a few weeks ago for the Edge. They have done regular work to keep improving the tunes. My current tunes for my Edge are:

93 v3 Performance
93 v3 Performance - Early Shift (WOT shift point is a couple hundred RPMS earlier, it has proven to result in a .2 faster 0-60 on the Edge)
93 v3 Performance - Early/Firm Shifts (Basically for me a 1/4 mile tune)
87 v3 Tow - Early Shift

Cost: $599

Hypertech is more of what I would call canned, but has more user adjustable settings. Total power I think even with 93 tune on both is less with Hypertech, because their tunes at all levels are rated for full Towing capacity. You can change the TCMS pressure setting, Tire size, adjust idle RPM, shift points per shift, and many other things. I run the 87 Tune, with all the Street options, and it is perfect for the wife's daily driver. I upped the TCMS setting so that I get a warning earlier for a low tire. I will adjust the Tire size when I do the lift. My cost was $260, but I caught an Amazon re-seller with a deal. They are being cost controlled now it appears at $349.

I think the better overall tune is LMS, but the Hypertech is GREAT bang for the buck, plus has a few easy user adjustable things that the LMS does not have.

Hope that helps.

-Ray
Not trying to start an argument but if your tunes are being mailed to you, they’re “canned”. The tunes your running were developed from some test car of the same make and model, not your own. That’s why Livernoise offers tuning on their in house dyno for a true “custom” tune for your car.

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
With the LMS changes you request, do you have to download and send data in from your vehicle? If you are doing this, it would definitely be a little more than a canned tune. If not, is "canned tweak" a term? Haha (meant in jest not mean sarcasm)

Uprev programmers are the high end ones used for Nissan. The Tuners send you a baseline tune and then you go and drive the vehicle (certain exercises are needed along with some regular driving) and record data and send it back to the Tuner and they tweak according to your vehicle's data. And repeat this a few times til it is where you and they want it.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the LMS changes you request, do you have to download and send data in from your vehicle? If you are doing this, it would definitely be a little more than a canned tune. If not, is "canned tweak" a term? Haha (meant in jest not mean sarcasm)

Uprev programmers are the high end ones used for Nissan. The Tuners send you a baseline tune and then you go and drive the vehicle (certain exercises are needed along with some regular driving) and record data and send it back to the Tuner and they tweak according to your vehicle's data. And repeat this a few times til it is where you and they want it.
You can’t log with the LMS tuner. Again you need HP tuners or EFI Live or the equivalent and a wide band o2 sensor.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can’t log with the LMS tuner. Again you need HP tuners or EFI Live or the equivalent and a wide band o2 sensor.

That is correct. No logging with LMS, or Hypertech. Limited with SCT, and HP Tuners. No EFI Live for most Fords.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I do realize what Datalogging is, and what Custom Tuning is.

Here are my definitions of the different types of tuning and examples.

Canned - One or Very few vehicles were put on a Dyno and tuned, few people tested, then was released to the public - Hyper Tech, SCT(Non Custom Tuner Versions), SuperChips, BullyDog

Non-Canned(Tweak as OldNerdGuy put it) - Many vehicles were dynoed/tuned in person, continued development, and changes can be requested based on customer testing and feedback. No or Very Little Data Logging. - LMS, SCT(Custom Tunes via Computer/Remote)

Custom Tuning - Your Vehicle is on the Dyno, or extensive data Logging is possible. Also some can allow you as the owner to tweak the tune. - HP Tuners(Complete Control), LMS(In Person at LMS), SCT(In Person), EFI Live

Many above examples aren’t available for ours or many non-performance vehicles..[emoji12]

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adding to the fun, I have an appointment in January when I get back from leave to get my truck on a dyno for 3 days.
Should answer some questions about what we really get. I’ve already confirmed they adhere to the SAE J1349 standard conditions (77 degrees, 29.92 barometric, etc), so it’s about as apples-to-apples as I can get with how Ford rates their engines. They are going to run it stock tune, then the 5 Star 93 tune to see how it performs, and then throw it in the trash and custom tune it from the ground up.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adding to the fun, I have an appointment in January when I get back from leave to get my truck on a dyno for 3 days.
Should answer some questions about what we really get. I’ve already confirmed they adhere to the SAE J1349 standard conditions (77 degrees, 29.92 barometric, etc), so it’s about as apples-to-apples as I can get with how Ford rates their engines. They are going to run it stock tune, then the 5 Star 93 tune to see how it performs, and then throw it in the trash and custom tune it from the ground up.

Very cool! Who is doing it? Look forward to seeing the graphs!

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a local place called Injected Performance. Seem to have their heads on straight and their lead programmer actually called me instead of making me call him when he wanted to get more info on what I was looking for.
Spoke volumes to me on their customer service considering I was only a prospective customer at the time.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man all this tune talk is making me want more from my 3.5 TT. Ray, how much does the highest performance 93 octane tune affect daily driving manners? My truck is my family mover but we drive around 30,000 miles a year. Lots of hwy. I would love to push the max performance I safely can out of my 3.5TT. I don’t mind firmer shifting, but if it creates obnoxious daily driving manners (jerky shifts, touchy throttle etc) then I might reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man all this tune talk is making me want more from my 3.5 TT. Ray, how much does the highest performance 93 octane tune affect daily driving manners? My truck is my family mover but we drive around 30,000 miles a year. Lots of hwy. I would love to push the max performance I safely can out of my 3.5TT. I don’t mind firmer shifting, but if it creates obnoxious daily driving manners (jerky shifts, touchy throttle etc) then I might reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly, I am not a fan of the Hypertech 93 Tuning. I have sent a few messages to one of their techs and they have adjusted, but still pulls to much power while shifting at WOT. The 87 Power bump with the Street Throttle and Shift Settings I have been very happy with. It allows me to get above stock 93 feeling while running 87. It is giving me the best of both worlds in my opinion.

This Motor pulls real good in low and the middle of the power band, but the Dyno graph Hypertech has published shows even more in the Middle and you can feel it. Been meaning to get numbers, but need get my GTech from my Dad.