Expedition heater woes, warm then cool air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Hook

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it fixed. And thanks for the follow-up report!

It seems that the Taurus's had this same issue, according to some owners I've talked to in the past.

BigJohnR

Reaction score
Heater problems 2001 Expedition 5.4L

2001 Ford Expedition
5.4L engine

Sounds like a similar problem. No hot air out of all three levels in exp. Replcaed the thermostat and the radiator cap. added coolant.. top radiator hose is warm and it takes a while to circulate. think it might be the water pump failing internally.. Any advice would be great. Just dropped 600 bucks on alternator replacement at a mechanic

Big Sarge

Reaction score
Going to replace my water pump in a couple weeks, same problem here...we shall see!

power-power

Reaction score
did you have an overheat recently? it could be bent block or bad gasket .this can cause to jam hot water somewhere in the lines.i had this in the past on a 4cyl engine.

alaninevanston

Reaction score
Here's a good one...
As with everyone experiencing front heat problems, your Alternator (REALLY) could be the culprit! My '97 Expedition EB had no front heat. While thinking about going into the dash, my 2 year-old battery died. Charged it and was fine for about a week then dead again. I went to get the battery checked (under warranty) and it was found that I had an open diode on my Alternator. I googled "Expedition alternator replacing" to see what was involved and I found a link (that was right on) from an old Redneck garage. They emphasized being sure the Alternator was properly grounded as the negative flow can get into the coolant and cause heater problems. DON'T LAUGH LIKE I DID! As soon as I replaced the alternator, I went to return the core and all of a sudden, I had more heat than I wanted! Seriously; have your alternator tested!