Expedition Squeaking Noise? Video Attached

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Hey guys I am wondering what this squeaking noise is coming from the engine. You only hear it right around idle and when the vehicle is fully warmed up.

Bad exhaust gasket causing an exhaust leak? Watch the short video and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
I just replaced the idler pulley so maybe the alternator bearing but wouldn't I hear that when it is cold too?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a length of garden hose and point the other end on suspected areas. Be careful with moving parts.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To check idler pulley and alternater bearings, loosen tensioner, slide belt off of pulley, spin and push/pull , inout, left/right etc, on the idler pulley and the alternator pulley, you will be checking for sounds,spinning as fast as you can by hand, feeling for grinding, when you keep your hand on the pulley and turning, and checking for worn bearings.

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
It is not the idler pulley, tensioner, or alternator. It only makes this sound when the truck is in drive at idle or slightly above.

Could it be something from the transmission since it only does it when it is in drive? It was just replaced. New video attached

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope, hold it up against your trans.

Works great to find internal problems.

b8b79b30-9306-4a4a-a76a-4f724ce3b998_1.7922c50e67b1a36cf7e0f72631f7ba42.jpeg

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be the torque converter since it's the only one spinning at a faster rate when in drive at idle.

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Update: This noise was the valve body. This new tranny is now on the 4th valve body.

1st one made the 1st to second shift hard. 2nd one made the squeaking noise. 3rd one was faulty from the factory. The 4th one should be good now

Good thing I have a 3 year warranty