Expediton cutting out while driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey marc....what was the outcome of your situation? I think i might have found the solution to my issue. i found a post on a ford site where my symptoms are described and it turned out that the wiring harness to the alternator has a tendency to fail. there was a ford bulletin describing it and there is a new part to replace the original. good news is it's only a $35.00 part at the dealer. for that cheap i am willing to try it and see if it works. picked up part today and will install tomorrow. i will post an update.

i would say message this dude or email if his profile provides that and see

svalencia

Reaction score
think i have same issue

I posted in the 1st generation forum, mine also stalls but the air pulses and the interior lights dim while driving, do you have a solution?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would check alternator/battery...might have bad diodes or something with the alt which in turn will drain battery

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
svalencia, check your power wires running between the alternator back to the starter solenoid and the wiring between the battery and the main fuse box. If you have a wire that is damaged and it is starting to short out to the body of the truck, it will cause what you are seeing. It should be fairly obvious if you have damaged wiring as the wiring in a spot will be worn away and may even be discolored/charred due to excessive heat.

rperreta

Reaction score
Problem Solved and at no cost!

Special thanks to a user on Edmunds that posted this - It saved me and many others a ton of money I'm sure.

SOLUTION:

Find the bracket that connects the alternator to the positive terminal on your battery.

If you start at the battery + terminal it has 2 red wires coming out of it. They are both usually red and about the same thickness. One of them goes into a long black rectangle clip that says "fusable Link" or something like that. Then comes out the other side and goes to the alternator.

Past the fusable link box there will be 2 wires that split off of this wire. If you are in front of the truck one wire runs towards you and is pretty short. It plugs into another wire. The second wire is longer and it runs away from you THIS IS the wire you need to follow. It runs back towards the battery into a plug under it.

Follow this wire from where it comes off of the big wire. You will find it resting on a silver/aluminum tube (its an AC pipe) Flip the wire over where it is touching this pipe, you will find the wire is rubbed down to the bare metal!!! It is randomly shorting out your engine and you will STALL. If I didn't by the part I would try to tape it up, tape the pipe it rests on as well or get some foam tubing for the pipe, if the wires are too worn, looks like you could always use a wire nut.

Last edited:

Fla_ford_owner

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition, 209000 miles. In 2015 the engine stalled 9 times over 11 months; 2x waiting at a traffic light, 4x at 70MPH on the interstate, 3x at residential speeds, a couple other random times. Turn the key off restart (sometimes it cranked for 15 seconds before starting) but it always restarted. On the interstate I would just put the tranny in Neutral, turn off the key, and restart and continue like nothing happened. Full fuel tank, half full tank, nearly empty tank - didn't make a difference. Fuel filter was new/replaced. Didn't make a difference. No codes. Essentially an un-diagnosable problem. Until I read the forums.

The first item I checked was the wire and taped it up that someone referenced ("You will find it resting on a silver/aluminum tube (its an AC pipe) Flip the wire over where it is touching this pipe, you will find the wire is rubbed down to the bare metal!!! It is randomly shorting out your engine and you will STALL")

That was not the cause of my problem.

During my Thanksgiving 2015 trip the expedition stalled 9 times and would not restart and had to be towed. ....Fortunately.
I insisted the mechanic go straight to the inside fuse box at the passenger side of the truck. The relay was fried, from dripping / leaking water from the windshield. He also said the heater core seemed like it might have been dripping at one point as well, onto the fuse box. Either way - we replaced the fuse box (put a cover of loose plastic cover over the fuse box). He gave me the old fuse box for inspection. No problems for 50+ days. (as I write this it is now 1/14/16). It is important that I share this tip, as the stalling for no reason part has happened to scores of folks.