Expy Ordered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Tahoe Starts at:$47,000 new expy starts at: $52,000 winner: Tahoe by 5 grand.

Going to be a no brainer for most buyers.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odd. Here’s the first VIN that shows up using my aforementioned Houston zip code. You can see the “In Production” designation.

View attachment 21957
Ok so I tried it with this VIN and it worked. Now at least I know I can enter a correct VIN lol not sure what the issue was on the others but I’m not too worried, thanks!

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New Tahoe Starts at:$47,000 new expy starts at: $52,000 winner: Tahoe by 5 grand.

Going to be a no brainer for most buyers.
On the build and price page the Tahoe starts at $49,240 vs the Ford $52,890 ($3,650 difference). The Tahoe is still pretty much the same as last year with a blah interior and live rear axle. I read somewhere that they were putting a 10 speed trans in the Tahoe for 2018 but that’s not reflected on their build and price site. Honestly if you’re strictly shopping on price $3,500 would make a difference but I’m not sure how many buyers are strictly looking at that and not thinking about appearance, performance, and ride comfort. Those are all subjective and would overshadow a couple grand for many buyers. Not to mention things like brand loyalty, here in the south it’s still a pretty serious thing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the solid rear axle better but agree with the rest. MSRP is $47k on tahoe though and you can find them base for that so idk why build and price says 49k.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of cash. Are they equiped about the same?

Similarly but the expy has some extras and ecoboost. That being said if you NEED a full size truck based SUV you don't NEED ecoboost or the extras. They are pricing a lot of us out of the market. In 13' and 14' you could buy a Limited or King Ranch for what a base expy is now it's out of control.

hunter991

Reaction score
Tahoe has less power and solid rear axle. Expy also has better MPG by 1-2MPG.

Don't think the expy has better MPG, getting 24 with my tahoe on the highway. I was hoping the expy would get better as i wanted to order one since mpg is something i really need to improve on (drive 10000's of miles per year). But everyone i know with a 2017 f150 or newer isn't getting close to what i get.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct Tahoe/Yukon is better on gas than the expedition. The GM 6.2 is even still better on gas. When GM puts the ten speed in expect another sharp increase. The new expy figures are still good and the new eco does dish out a lot of power and with power comes gas consumption.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expedition hasnt been extensively driven yet for this to be known. The 18 f150 has been out for a bit but not enough for anyone to speak on it. The 17s have the same drivetrain but from what ive read om forums, if you baby and break in the 3.5, you cam easily exceed the epa figures. Of ford rele thought us consumers cared about fe, they wpuldve put the 2.7 in it at launch and it wouldve exceeded many crossovers. For the expy and tahoe to even be able to reach mpg better than some cars while still giving sub 6 sec run times is amazing within themselves