Expy won't crank, buzzing sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copy and paste from my post at F150online:

I go to try to start the Expy, and as soon as the key goes into the ON position, a high pitched buzzing starts. It seems to be coming from somewhere in the passenger kick space.

All the lights on the dash turn on (as in a normal start up), and there is enough power to turn it on (12.3 V).

As soon as I turn the key into the START position, all the dash goes dead, the starter doesn't even crank. I don't think the starter is even clicking. But, there is still power, at least to the 12V accessory, the X50 stayed on.

I'll try to get a video of it.

TIA.

EDIT:

Just went back to check, and the dash doesn't go dead. The odometer is the one that goes dead when I try to crank. The bad thing is that in place of an odometer reading, there are just lines/hyphens. That sounds like that computer? If it matters, it rained last night.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what that sounds like :(

It sounds kinnda like when a fly is buzzing against a window, or an angry bee.

My camera is dead, so I'll try to get a sound recording.

mohs00

Reaction score
would you be able to get a scanner on it and see if there are any codes stored?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow that is pretty damn weird. Maybe a bee is in there sitting on some wires and your ******* it off when you try to start lol. otherwise I'd be stumped. If you can try ripping apart the dash and pinpointing it deeper. Is it louder in the cab or the engine compartment?

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems louder in the cab. I've never taken apart the dash :(

As for codes, lemme see if I can get something.

Tried connecting the data logger, but it says "Unable to connect to PCM" :( Crap, now I'm afraid my PCM is fried or something.

Last edited:

mustangswan

Reaction score
Have you tried to see if there any signs of water in the gem/fuse panel under the dash. It is very common to have the windshield leak and get water into those two things. Try to remove the 2 main connectors from the back of the fuse/ power box and look into the connector hole in the back with a light and a mirror(it is a 10mm bolt head). I have changed 50-100 of these for all different types of problems. (windows inop, door locks inop, no start) all caused by water. We get a lot of rain in Seattle. Hope this is helpful.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is anotherthing you can lookat is the e/brake rusty looking is the pading under the carpet wet

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If water gets in there you just replace it and it goes away? I'd think that you'd short something out and damage something most likely.

Also taking the dash apart isn't that hard. It may be a bit without any guide doing it on a new car. Ussually its layered so you just find the top layer and pull it off ussually. On 1st gen you take out the trim around the radio which gives you access to bolts. If you get stumped sometimes you have to pull the radio to get access to bolts to pull the first section.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360