Expy won't crank, buzzing sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Working

Elvato,

I ordered the part and had it overnighted, and it was still cheaper than a local dealership. I just got a little confused because the engineering number on the part itself differs from the part number on the box it comes in, but I did get a 068, so should be good.

One quick comment - right after I first put it in, as I turned it on, I got the same buzzing briefly, as the electrics came on, then it stopped when the engine started and hasn't returned. Any idea about that?

Otherwise, I'm just happy the car is running again.

Now I need to go buy a Haynes manual to check I did it all the right way.

Thank you for your help, you saved me huge.

Cmikul

Reaction score
This just happened to me while I was out of town.....luckily I found this thread and it gave me a clue as to why it wouldn't start.

I had a nearby dealership tow my vehicle and it did turn out to be this exact problem.

they replaced the PCM board for $303 and install was $160.

high priced but had I not seen this thread they could've told me $1000 and I wouldn't have known the difference.

Nduvaman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just signed in to this forum because of the same problem! Not that that is the only reason I´m here but...

Anyways, I cant take my expy to any fancy dealer or something like that. I live in AFRICA! More specifically in Angola (the worst country to own a car):mad:!, but probably one of the best countries for REAL extreme offroading.

I have my brother in Canada, so I order all my parts from him, and sends them down here through a courrier company.

Now to the problem...

What happened to my expy (5.4L 4WD) was exactly, word by word, what happened to ELVATO´s expy.

Now, I know you gave me all the info I need to get this problem fixed, but I´m a bit behind you guys... What is the part that needs to be ordred? I know you gave the part code, but what part is that? And Where is the PCM located? Is it the one on the left far side of the engine bay, from the perpective of who´s opening the hood?

Attachments

• 105_4205.jpg
    105_4205.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the PCM, which controls pretty much the whole truck. But, what you want to replace is the fuse box. The early Expeditions had a faulty circuit design in the fuse box that would burn out the PCM relay, causing the PCM to not work, which in turn caused the truck to not work.

Nduvaman

Reaction score
Ok, but will replacing the CJB fix the defect, or will it just fix the problem? How has yours been behaving?

Thanks for replying to me!:)

Here´s a pic of my expy in the Namibe desert in Angola Africa...

Attachments

• Imagem0392.jpg
    Imagem0392.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. If you see in post 15, I posted the "fixed" part numbers. Ask your delear (or place where you are getting the CJB) what the most up to date replacement is. For me, it has been working fine. I put in an updated fuse box (as listed in the TSB). It was a different part number than the one I pulled out.

If you search around the forum, other people who had the issue posted what part numbers they got. Don't remember if they were the same as the ones I listed.

Nduvaman

Reaction score
Hey,

Ya, I followed exactly what you posted. I´m recieving the CJB today via DHL, I think everything is gonna work out right. I took apart my box and found the burnt line on the circuit board, exactly the same as the picture you posted. There is now absolutely no doubt that we had the same problem. Thank god for this thread! I would have still been lost! Here´s a pic of the CJB circuit board.

Elvato, thanks alot for your help! You´re a superstar!

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 255

Mr Dbert

Reaction score
I had the same problem and swapped the relay with a different one from the cjb and my expy started right up. I turned off the truck went inside my house and about 30 minutes later went to start it and it wouldn't turn on again. Any idea why? I'm confused about this. Do I need to replace the cjb?

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first had the problem I burnt through a bunch of relays, as I could replace one, and start the car, then it would burn out while driving, and need replacing the next time. Sometimes they would last, sometimes not.

After replacing the fusebox it's been fine for the past year. No electrical issues.

I replaced it myself. It's pretty simple. Just pull off the covers, and unbolt it using the main bolt in the middle, and the main electrical connection. It is fiddly though, an awful position to work in, but not overly complicated. I didn't use any instructions, my Haynes manual doesn't have anything in it relevant.

AskMeLater

Reaction score
New Fuse Box 3L1Z-14A068-AA

Resurrecting an old thread. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

I was having the exact symptoms found in this thread. Luckily I never got stranded anywhere, but it was close!

If anybody else has this problem, check out this thread, too:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f39/2003-5-4-cranks-but-wont-start-7236/

I installed a new Fuse Box ( 3L1Z-14A068-AA ) yesterday. I was going to move the Expy before starting the work, but it was a crank/no start, so I'm lucky I didn't take it anywhere!

Ordered from group1autoparts.com | Genuine OEM Parts Direct in OKC

Expy started right up after installing new fuse box, and seems to be running fine.

Attached photo shows the burnt printed circuit board removed from the old fuse box.

Thanks again to everyone.

Attachments

• 2014-09-19 17.26-1.jpg
    2014-09-19 17.26-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: