Extra key & keypad code on the door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Here is another question (which will probably make you think am a complete idiot, but oh well):
My used truck only came with one set of keys, for whatever reason. I really would like to have a second set. In the manual it said that I can program up to 16 keys by inserting the key I have, turn on, turn off, insert a "blank" key, turn on, turn off = all done.
I went to the parts dept and tried getting another key which is about $35 but I am told that they want to program it themselves for ~$180 + tax, because I will not be able to do it myself with just one key. I have to have two or have them do it for me.
I told them that manual said otherwise and they told me that it would only be true to pre-'99 models. '99 and newer require two keys to begin with...

Please confirm or deny what I am told. :rolleyes:

Also, I don't know my key-pad code on the door and they will only be able to retrieve it (or reset it) for me in the (above) process. Is there any other way of figuring it out?.. What is the default code, or are they all unique?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
when you get a new key or key fob, the number is written on the card. that number will be activated when you program the key fob. This is a no brainer and is very easy to do.

You should try programming the key first. if it works then you dont need the dealer.

OP
OP
G

To my knowledge, the difference between MY 98 and 2000 PATS systems (aka "Securilock") on the Expys is nothing. I think you should be able to reprogram using only one key, not two. Try and see, you have nothing to lose.

As for your keypad entry, don't know if this works in the Expys, but in the Explorer, the code is written on a label on the side of the keyless entry module. In the Explorer this is located just forward of the jack stowage in the left rear quarter panel. You need to pull the interior panel back slightly and use a flashlight to see it, as it faces the interior and is difficult to read. A mirror sometimes helps. I'm not quite sure where this module would be located on the Expy, but maybe this would give you a start.

Good luck with the new forum, JT! Hope you don't mind some of us Explorer chaps dropping in from time to time. I'm curious to learn up on the new 2003 Expys more since I'm considering one.

Cheers!

Holter95
95 Explorer E.B., 179K miles - Houghton, MI

OP
OP
G

Originally posted by Kseniya
Here is another question (which will probably make you think am a complete idiot, but oh well):
My used truck only came with one set of keys, for whatever reason. I really would like to have a second set. In the manual it said that I can program up to 16 keys by inserting the key I have, turn on, turn off, insert a "blank" key, turn on, turn off = all done.
I went to the parts dept and tried getting another key which is about $35 but I am told that they want to program it themselves for ~$180 + tax, because I will not be able to do it myself with just one key. I have to have two or have them do it for me.
I told them that manual said otherwise and they told me that it would only be true to pre-'99 models. '99 and newer require two keys to begin with...

Please confirm or deny what I am told. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are being rooked.

Also, I don't know my key-pad code on the door and they will only be able to retrieve it (or reset it) for me in the (above) process. Is there any other way of figuring it out?.. What is the default code, or are they all unique?

On the Explorer you can find it in the 'storage' area in the left rear. It is also located on a small card in the package the factory manual is located in. The card resembles one of those cards you receive for a gym membership ot grocery store card. Good luck!

OP
OP
G

New keys can be programmed using one existing key on 97/98 Trucks. The 99-02 need two existing keys to program a third. The code for the keyless entry is located on a paper tag on the GEM module that is mounted up on the firewall inside way up high behind the brake pedal. I found mine up there no problem. Hope your back is in good shape to get a look up in there!

Pat :)

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having a 1999 and the $180 Ford Service manuals, I can verify Pat's comments re: needing two keys to program third.

At this juncture, you have no choice to visit the Ford dealer unless you can find out who the last owner was and beg them for the second key.

Also, buy at least one other extra key blank, have it cut and program it using the manual's directions. At least you won't be in this position again (having only one original key) should you lose a key.

RE: the keypad code. Pat is right again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Thank you everyone for the replies!
I was able to locate my door entry code right where you told me to look. At least if I lock myself out of the truck (and I know I will), I have a way of getting back in.
As for the key, I will have to pay the dealer. Seeing how they wouldn’t even sell me the blank key to program it myself anyway.

OP
OP
G

Keys for 2003

Does anyone know if this 'two keys rule' applies to the 2003 model as well. I've jsut bought a 2003 XLT and would hate to have to part with more money to the dealer !!

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a bit of a segue, but since the 1999 owner's manual doesn't say a single word about use of the keypad, here are a few facts:

First of all, let me attempt to reproduce the keypad buttons below:

[1|2] [3|4] [5|6] [7|8] [9|0]

First: Using the five digit code (FDC) will unlock the driver's door only. To unlock all other doors, press the [3|4] button within a few seconds of using the FDC.

Second: The FDC is permanent and cannot be removed by the owner, barring an expensive visit to the dealer. However, an additional code can be programmed by keying in the FDC, immediately pressing the [1|2] button, then keying in your new five digit code. You will now have two FDC's.
To erase, follow the directions above, but key in the original FDC after pressing the [1|2] button.

Third: To lock all doors from outside the vehicle simultaneously press the [7|8] and [9|0] buttons.

I've now told you more than I know.

OP
OP
G

The 2003 does also use the 2 key rule to program a third. I am in the lock business and can tell you guys that any decent locksmith can duplicate those keys for you for far less then the dealer. The part number for the keys is ILCO #H72-PT. The key costs them about $9.00 each.

Pat

00 XLT