F-150 wheel install on Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
recently installed 20” 2016 f-150 wheels on my 2016 expedition limited. Specs on both sets of wheels was the same yet the rear wheel axel ends protrude thru the center of new wheels not allowing the center caps to seat. Any thought on a fix for this and is the f-150 wheel just thinner even thought they have the same offset?

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Currently running no caps. Also had too considered cutting the axel ends but looks like I’d have to take off about .5”.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, thats normal

Ditch the caps or trim your axle or add spacers

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trimming the axle stub is the way to go. Pretty easy to do with a hack saw or sawzall. I had to do it on the wife’s Exploder and it literally took about 5 minutes per side.

In my opinion leaving the caps off invites future problems: allows more moisture/dirt/grime onto the stub shaft and the mating surface. May result in more rust/oxidation. Plus I think it looks better having the caps.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trimming the axle stub is the way to go. Pretty easy to do with a hack saw or sawzall. I had to do it on the wife’s Exploder and it literally took about 5 minutes per side.

In my opinion leaving the caps off invites future problems: allows more moisture/dirt/grime onto the stub shaft and the mating surface. May result in more rust/oxidation. Plus I think it looks better having the caps.

Just spray some paint/plastidip/bedliner/clearcoat on the exposed area before installing wheels if so concerned

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks USMC, Since I have my stock 20” off I’m just going to have the coated then resell the f-150 wheels, that was no cutting just a direct fit. Also thanks for all you do or did for this country, you are appreciated!

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks USMC, Since I have my stock 20” off I’m just going to have the coated then resell the f-150 wheels, that was no cutting just a direct fit. Also thanks for all you do or did for this country, you are appreciated!

Pics of the wheels?

Still in, been my pleasure.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
recently installed 20” 2016 f-150 wheels on my 2016 expedition limited. Specs on both sets of wheels was the same yet the rear wheel axle ends protrude thru the center of new wheels not allowing the center caps to seat. Any thought on a fix for this and is the f-150 wheel just thinner even thought they have the same offset?
The F-Series have solid axles, Expeditions (except 1st gen) and Explorers have independent rear axles. The rears use CV joint axles with a long center stud (longer than necessary in my opinion) so you'll need different center caps
recently installed 20” 2016 f-150 wheels on my 2016 expedition limited. Specs on both sets of wheels was the same yet the rear wheel axel ends protrude thru the center of new wheels not allowing the center caps to seat. Any thought on a fix for this and is the f-150 wheel just thinner even thought they have the same offset?
Since the Expys have independent vs solid axles I would have thought it would be opposite, have you a pic to post?