Factory sub with aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently bought a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS for my 2004 Expedition and installed it tonight. All of the speakers are factory as well as the sub. The speakers all sound pretty good, but the sub sounds like garbage after about half way on the volume. I know it is installed correctly and that it is just a matter of getting the settings just right, but does anybody have pointers for getting the crossover/eq of the factory sub to a decent setting?

swagfu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed a Clarion NX-405 and had to go into my setting and lower the sub volume. I am planning on changing all the speakers at some point, probably the sub too. Right now it sounds good enough to get me by for a while.

Zachariah Huff

Reaction score
Those subs aren't meant for much excursion. No pun intended. Try pulling off that sub cover and stuffing some speaker box material in between the cone and cover. Then pop the cover back in. That will greatly reduce the mechanical noise of the spider and surround. Even pillow stuffing would kinda work. There should be 2 connectors on the left and right that you can pry off with a screw driver. Or pull the whole panel which is a b****.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sub only gets 40 watts... if ur looking for more bass u need to swap it with an aftermarket 8" sub... or disconnect it and just add a sub in an enclosure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its possible that your sub is running full range at the moment too. Turn your low pass crossover (LPF) to 120 or 80 and turn your sub gain down. Your sending WAY more signal to the sub than it had before.