Favorite Features

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without a strong incentive like a 100k warranty on the starters/battery and some release of on road long term tests which none of the manufacturers have done it is gambling with no benefit.
One failure to start and respond can kill the driver and passengers in an emergency for no reason. Murphy's law will always win out over the long time and people will die for no worthwhile reason, and the lawyers will be the only ones to benefit

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very interesting thread if you read it from the start. I think Hayes R.... said it first:

"Probably the thing I hate the most is the fact that the truck stops and starts whenever it is at a stop light. That would piss me off, and probably isn't too good on the engine."

The surprising thing is the wear on the actual engine components is pretty negligible, even over time because at least the engine isn't generating heat at lower oil pressures as it would if it were idling....but that poor starter & solenoid.... dey is a gonna take a beatin! I wonder what the defeat is for it, a simple fuse removal?

Someone else brought up the safety factor involved as well....if you need to move, you will experience the longest 3 seconds of your life as you wait for the truck to sense & react to your needs.

The only thing I wish I had.... the front emergency braking system....cause I hit crap....sometimes on purpose, mostly not<LOL> and let's be honest.....no one laughs like in the tv commercials after narrowly avoiding rear-ending someone....most of us crap ourselves!

Only thing you'll need & won't have is 4lo to walk out of deep snow....because when you put it in 4hi and release the brake, all four wheels will spin if the snow is wet.....

jeff

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the old ones too, but eventually, newer always becomes better. And at this point, I'm really liking the 2018's.

I think Ford really put in some great effort and listened to customer input. As much as people on this forum love the "older" Expys, the general public has spoke with its dollars and picks GM trucks at a rate of almost ten fold higher in sales than Ford. I believe that the new 2018 will help Ford really compete with the Tahoe/Suburban variants and take a significant bite of market share.

I'm happy for Ford!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one has mentioned one of the main reasons I just bought a 2017 Expedition rather than wait for 2018...The 2018 will have STOP/START system that will force the engine to shut down at a full stop, then hopefully restart when you step on the gas, pretty much like a old mountain gas golf cart! Two big issues here, one is that driver control is removed at an intersection should emergency evacuation (meth head, drunk or cell texter closing fast) or need to blend into traffic quickly. One flaw in the system over the life of the vehicle and you and your passengers are at risk for no gain other than a few pieces of FED silver environmental credit to Ford. Secondly, with the amount of starter cycles X 10,000 times normal. Wonder who pays for the 2-3 new starters and batteries?
GM has the same stupidity factor and is why I did not buy 2018 Chevy Traverse.
You can use FORScan and OBDII Bluetooth module to turn off that feature so you don't have to worry about it. Plus there is a button on the dash that you can push every time you start the vehicle to turn it off - but that is a pain in the ass.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use FORScan and OBDII Bluetooth module to turn off that feature so you don't have to worry about it. Plus there is a button on the dash that you can push every time you start the vehicle to turn it off - but that is a pain in the ass.

Or you can pop the switch out, use a small piece of wire to jumper two positions, and the switch then signals that its being pushed and start/stop is defeated.

Another option is to plug in a trailer wiring test light - that'll fool the vehicle into thinking a trailer is being towed and start/stop is over-ridden. You'll lose the rear view camera function when reversing, but I'm sure there are atleast 3 people on this forum who are ready to complain about how terrible rear view cameras are anyway, so....

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you can pop the switch out, use a small piece of wire to jumper two positions, and the switch then signals that its being pushed and start/stop is defeated.

Another option is to plug in a trailer wiring test light - that'll fool the vehicle into thinking a trailer is being towed and start/stop is over-ridden. You'll lose the rear view camera function when reversing, but I'm sure there are atleast 3 people on this forum who are ready to complain about how terrible rear view cameras are anyway, so....
If I'm not mistaken, on my wife's 2017 Escape, there is a setting in the cluster that allows you to turn it off completely.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I was pricing a 2018 online for the hundredth time and I still can't believe this rig is fast approaching $82k! That's Mercedes GLS money!

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish mb would bring back the diesels in the gls, cheaper more efficient and more comfortable than the gls450 model

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man I was pricing a 2018 online for the hundredth time and I still can't believe this rig is fast approaching $82k! That's Mercedes GLS money!

If you are comparing the lower trim GLS450 than your right. If you want a comparable model it's way over. Not to mention the cost of parts and maintenance. My wife and I have spent so much time on the build and price sites and we came to realize that while the Expy is expensive the value is still there. You are not getting the exclusivity that the Benz comes with and I'm sure it's more luxury/fit and finish but it also makes you a target should you need to make a fuel stop on a road trip and find yourself on the wrong side of town.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are comparing the lower trim GLS450 than your right. If you want a comparable model it's way over. Not to mention the cost of parts and maintenance. My wife and I have spent so much time on the build and price sites and we came to realize that while the Expy is expensive the value is still there. You are not getting the exclusivity that the Benz comes with and I'm sure it's more luxury/fit and finish but it also makes you a target should you need to make a fuel stop on a road trip and find yourself on the wrong side of town.

Sure, that's kind of the beauty of the Expy and for that matter the Suburban/Yukon XL Denali too. They're all sleeper cars. Even the top trims that come in at $80k are unassuming and fly under the radar. I like that too.