Feedback on Extended Length Expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccbc65

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 XLT with the 5.4 and 4WD. Bought it new October 2003 and now have just over 300k miles on it. I love the truck and how it drives and the size and utility of it. My only complaint was there was not much room behind the 3rd row seats, I could not fit the double jogging stroller I used with my twins when they were young. So when they came out with the Extended Length model, I figured that resolved my one complaint.

I'm beginning the search for a new Expedition and I'm leaning towards the EL. So I would like to hear from EL owners, particularly those who have had EL and standard length models, about any pros or cons of the EL versus the standard length. Does it drive just as well? Does it turn as tightly? Any other thoughts you have...

Thank you all!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an 05 EB standard length and bought a 17 Limited EL. I am very happy with it, I've had it since February. I really don't notice the extra length when driving it, it very agile and the EcoBoost engine makes it feel like a rocket.

During the first week that I had it, I had to adjust my turning point when parking in parking lots. It didn't take long to get the feel of it. I love the extra space behind the third row. Before I always drove with the 3rd row down now, they are always up. I keep a big tote in the back behind the third row and I put all of my stuff, jumper cables, bungees, blankets, towels, bug repellent etc. You know the stuff we carry plus some tools and an emergency backpack.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ford Expedtion Limited 4x4, ordered and purchased new. This was my first Ford and first Expedtion. I have owned other SUV's. I have not owned an EL version.

I regret not ordering / purchasing the EL version. I am middle-aged and use the vehicle for passenger use only (no towing or hauling items). Two child car seats are mounted in the second row. I could use the extra space behind the third row seats, as the seats are used more than I thought they would be.

I suspect if you want the EL version, you should probably buy it or you will regret buying the standard length.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From my perspective, the EL is basically the equivalent to a Suburban while the standard length is the Tahoe (even though I'm not a Chevy guy at all).

Everyone that I know that has a Suburban loves it. If I were to buy a newer Expedition, I would probably buy an EL. My 1st gen is worthless for hauling cargo when the 3rd row is installed- it's folds down and forward but it's still massive.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my perspective, the EL is basically the equivalent to a Suburban while the standard length is the Tahoe (even though I'm not a Chevy guy at all).

Everyone that I know that has a Suburban loves it. If I were to buy a newer Expedition, I would probably buy an EL. My 1st gen is worthless for hauling cargo when the 3rd row is installed- it's folds down and forward but it's still massive.

I totally agree. On the Chevy forums they've discussed this topic at length. Everyone who buys a Suburban never wished they would have purchased the SWB (Tahoe) instead, however many, many people who purchased the SWB wish they had purchased the LWB and/or trade it in for the LWB. My recommendation is if you are even thinking of the EL, get it, you'll be glad you did.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the EL. The additional length is constantly useful, does not hamper parking/manueverability, gives you the larger gas tank and in my opinion is more aesthetically pleasing.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the EL. I have 2008 regular Expy and a 17 EL. I also had a 2005 Excursion. I am learning to live with the "reduced" size of the EL compared to my Excursion.

I will say there is not much a difference in driving the regular VS the EL. The 5.4 V8 VS the 3.5 V6 is another story but IMHO get a 15 or newer EL is my recommendation.

The only way I would buy a 5.4 Expy now is if I could install a supercharger on it. The twin turbo V6 has spoiled me!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I had an EL the space behind the rear seat is so much better, but having a pickup there is no reason for it. The newer ones are quick things, I looked at an ecoboost F-150 but didn’t do it, I’m that guy who needs his loud V8s that suck down gas like a vacuum. I get so much enjoyment when I hammer my trucks and hear them roar. I’d say you can’t for wrong with a newer el, my family member has an el and honestly you can’t beat the extra space. You really in my opinion feel no different or less confident driving an el either, feels very familiar and like it’s the same truck.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought of another benefit of the EL. The long wheelbase makes it ride smoother and less choppy because extra length when going over bumps. It changes the frequency of the bouncing when on a bumpy road - The road going into our neighborhood is very bumpy and I noticed an immediate difference in driving the EL over the standard Expedition.