Feedback on Extended Length Expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consider your garage space. An EL would fit in my garage, but the room for error would decrease significantly. Its tight enough walking around it now and some shelving/cabinet shuffling would be needed to accommodate the EL's added 14-15 inch overall length. If you still have small children, go for the EL.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thing to consider is if you take it off road at all the ELs long wheelbase reduces your ability to overcome some obstacles and also reduces your cornering ability. I like the standard length looks wise, it looks more natural to me. But Besides whether or not you can fit it in your garage and off-road related items I say EL wins all day long that space is huge. I love my standard length and will run it till she dies.
EE9497BB-2C67-4EC2-80A1-ADA7085AC09F.jpeg

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm the guy that bought a standard and wish now that I'd have held out for an EL. I can haul people OR stuff but not people AND stuff.....

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just thought of another benefit of the EL. The long wheelbase makes it ride smoother and less choppy because extra length when going over bumps. It changes the frequency of the bouncing when on a bumpy road - The road going into our neighborhood is very bumpy and I noticed an immediate difference in driving the EL over the standard Expedition.

Brand new shocks and ball joints could perhaps explain that, too...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm the guy that bought a standard and wish now that I'd have held out for an EL. I can haul people OR stuff but not people AND stuff.....

Yeah if not for the pulled up middle seat (faux "captain chairs") and the missing console in my SSV, I wouldnt be able to fit in much of anything with people inside

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another benefit of the EL is with the all the seats down, you can get a full 4 X 8 sheet of plywood or drywall completely inside the vehicle with the liftgate closed and that's a good thing too.
^ this is the single greatest justification for the EL. I've hauled full sheets of drywall and 2 10' sections of countertop in my truck in a single load. The looks I got when I closed the rear hatch were priceless.

The EL has the interior space of a minivan with the towing and cargo capacity of a fullsize pickup.

I got so used to the long boxy refrigerator look of my white truck that the shorter ones started looking odd to me. My wife and I jokingly refer to them as "Expesquishons" these days.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ this is the single greatest justification for the EL. I've hauled full sheets of drywall and 2 10' sections of countertop in my truck in a single load. The looks I got when I closed the rear hatch were priceless.

The EL has the interior space of a minivan with the towing and cargo capacity of a fullsize pickup.

I got so used to the long boxy refrigerator look of my white truck that the shorter ones started looking odd to me. My wife and I jokingly refer to them as "Expesquishons" these days.
I know what you mean. My 05 was the short wheelbase and while I liked it I like my EL a whole lot more. I fly radio controlled airplanes and I have one with an 8' wing span. It's a one-piece wing and it fits in the back without having to stick through the front seat. I have another one that when finished will have a fuselage that is 84" long; it will fit in the back without having to move the front passenger seat forward.

Plati

Reaction score
Too Funny ... bought the same black 03 Expy XLT in May 2003 & still have it (my daily driver)! 180K on it now. Had a new 97 XLT before that, both 5.4's. I listed all the maintenance I've ever done on the 03 on another post. Its still reliable and fun to drive but rusting out (NYS salt) and a few parts are disabled instead of paying for repairs. For example the rear liftgate glass wont actuate with the button on door - so I use the clicker method if need to open window. Have disabled all rear heat / cool to avoid the thumping. Never run windows all the way down and wont use if iced closed in winter (until melted) to prolong the life of the regulators. Use my ebrake every month to keep that from freezing up. Fan only runs on 3 & 4. Disassemble clean & lube rear wiper every 2 years when it drains the battery etc etc

New ride (2 years so far) is the 2014 EL. I think it has about 12 additional inches length, inch taller, 2 inches wider in back. Yes, 4x8 sheet lays down! Love it, so tight & smooth compared to the tank-like 03 which is partly due to being new and also upgraded design (modern). 5.4 engine but wish I had the 3.5L (better engine and gas mileage). Considered trading up to get that engine recently but not really worth the trouble money-wise. Never had any concern parking or Forest Service roads due to length but I may not have noticed or cared. I use the SYNC with Bluetooth and has features like stability control making it safer. Quieter and smooth interstate cruising or getting into places you cant go in a car. 18" tires are nice vs 17 on the 03. I'm concerned about all the electronics in new vehicles ... example can only get back gate open with electrical switch now vs mechanical in the 03. More stuff to break. Personally don't need a motorized lift gate, would be happy to do using my arm! I miss the old days with windows that roll up/down with a handle. Has this new intermittent wiper feature which I could do without (senses rain and toggles off/on) that failed and cost me $300 to get to work again. Overall LOVE the vehicle could not be much happier!!!

After owning my 03 for 14 years and watching it turn to rust ... I'm considering something like POR on the underside in strategic locations - hoping to avoid the wholesale rusting of the body and some other parts. I can just look at where the damage is on my 03 and address those locations on the 2014 while they still exist.

Modified it for camping ... traded off seating for storage spaces & bed area. I can go back into Grizzly country and live inside it comfortably without a tent for Bears to rip open. I wish I knew of a way to heat back there without the engine and I could live in it in winter, down by the river under the bridge. Best I've come up with so far is a 12V heating pad powered by my JNC770R
IMG_0320.JPG

Last edited: