Feel free to laugh... whats the socket size for the center nut to take wheel off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol yeah ....i did try searching for like 15 mins btw

Or is that just for hub removal? Do i need ot to do shocks or not?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe its a 1 1/8" or 1 1/4". A very uncommon socket size. Years ago I had to buy one and could only find it in an impact socket version. Haven't used it since. Oh, and you're not supposed to re-use the nuts, they're TTY. Are you asking if you need to remove the hub to replace a shock? No, you shouldn't have to.

Edit: You don't need to remove the hub nut to remove the tire. Is that what you're asking?

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe its a 1 1/8" or 1 1/4". A very uncommon socket size. Years ago I had to buy one and could only find it in an impact socket version. Haven't used it since. Oh, and you're not supposed to re-use the nuts, they're TTY. Are you asking if you need to remove the hub to replace a shock? No, you shouldn't have to.

Edit: You don't need to remove the hub nut to remove the tire. Is that what you're asking?

The huge nut under the hubcap in the middle on the rear wheel, on what looks to be the axle... does it need to come off to remove the wheel?

What about to change rear shocks?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The huge nut under the hubcap in the middle on the rear wheel, on what looks to be the axle... does it need to come off to remove the wheel?

What about to change rear shocks?
Adieu can you post a picture so we are absolutely clear about what you are asking so we don't give you the wrong answer?

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adieu can you post a picture so we are absolutely clear about what you are asking so we don't give you the wrong answer?

The thing in the verry center on the rears. On the axle itself. Visible from outside if hubcaps are off

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing in the verry center on the rears. On the axle itself. Visible from outside if hubcaps are off
Does it look like the nut this picture? If not you only have to remove that nut to pull the axle half shaft. The picture is from my 05 when I had the rotors and pads changed.

IMG_4654.JPG

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if serious......

IIRC its 36mm. And no, you do not need to remove it to remove the wheel.

If you have removed all the lug nuts and the wheel is still stuck to the hub, you most likely have corrosion freeze. Squirt around the hub/wheel mating surface and inside the lugnut holes around the studs with some weasel piss (any penetrating lubricant of your choice). Give it an hour, squirt again then use a block of wood against the wheel and give it a few sharp whacks with a heavy instrument of your choice.

I do NOT recommend using a chisel to drive in between the hub and wheel. There are slots on the back of the wheel for that purpose but it never works out the way you want it to.

And no, you do not need to remove the axle nut and axle stub from the hub to change shocks.