Feels/sounds like rumble strips when at 35/45 mph...help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rackops

Reaction score
Greetings all!

We're on our 4th Expedition and this one is a 2007 EL 2WD Limited.

We love Expeditions and have never had an issue in the past. This one is apparently our "special" one...

When I bought it (with ~70k miles) it spent a couple days in the dealer's (a Chevy dealer) shop because of an "ignition issue". I was a dummy and that should have set off bells and whistles right there, but we really wanted an EL for our dogs (and kids) and for whatever reason, they were nearly impossible to find at that point in time. Anyway, they fixed said "ignition issue" and we bought it (still banging my head...)

Fast forward to now (we bought it two years ago) and it has 102k miles on it. Since we bought it, it has gone to two different Ford dealerships twice because this reoccurring problem.

The problem is this: when driving between 35 and 45 mph, the car feels like it's hitting rumble strips. Very consistent...not hesitating or anything, but just like hitting rumble strips in the road. Yet the roads are smooth. I have noticed the tachometer going up and down by about 200 RPM when it does it. In the mid 50s, the car has periodic rumbles, but they are more noise than anything else, and they come in predictable cycles...e.g. rumble - silent - rumble - silent - rumble up to the low 60s and then it runs just fine.

The first time it went into the shop, it had a check engine light and it came back as a bad #4 fuel injector. That was replaced under warranty. The next time it went into the shop...guess what...it was the same issue and the injector was replaced again.

For a while, the issue seemed to go away. Then, about eight months ago, it reared its ugly head again. BUT...this time, there's no check engine light. We let the car sit for a couple months and I was finally fed up enough to take it to yet another Ford dealer (we had moved in the process) to check out the rumble. Ironically, it didn't do it until I had driven it for about an hour to the dealership and finally it started doing it again.

So it was in the dealership for a couple of days and I fully described the issue to them - "don't accelerate too hard, keep it right at 40 mph, etc." to duplicate the rumble. We've dealt with this dealership before and they seem competent, so I was pretty shocked when they came back and told me they couldn't find anything wrong!

If I weren't upside down on the loan, I would have kicked the car to the curb right then, but I have to pay it off before I consider it. Sigh. So I'm stuck with it for right now. I put 450 miles on it yesterday and at freeway speeds, it runs like a charm. Same goes for speeds under 30. Just in that 35-45 zone, it gets really funky.

I did a search in this forum and found a thread about the torque converter as a similar sounding issue, but I don't think that's the problem. Or, it might be, but it just doesn't seem like it would be. I still think it's an ignition problem, though my father in law believes it's a transmission problem...but I can't wrap my brain around that since it's so predictable. Of course, we aren't car people (ships, yes. cars, no) so either one of our opinions are worth...well...you know... :D

Anyway, any help is appreciated! I'm truly at a loss with this one!

Thanks!

Dave

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Step #1: Stop taking it to dealerships. Dealerships employ technicians, not mechanics. Find a reputable mechanic and let him (or her) have a stab at it.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the front hubs? My 04 Navigator just started to do the exact same thing between 22 and 35mph. I just recently did my brakes and the rotors were rusted stuck on the hubs and after a long battle I was able to get them off.
See my post about it. :)

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f41/wow-what-pain-brake-28379/

So it initially felt ok but after a few 30 miles drives back and forth to the work now hubs are humming /whining and doing the rumble strip thing. Right side more than the left so today I'm gonna order couple of hubs and see what happens after I replace them.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a dumb question, have you tried rotating tires? If that helps your narrowing it down. On motorcyles my experience was shaking at 40-55 was steering bearings above that tire balance. In your case have the mechanics done the simplest things, 1 tires, 2 wheel bearings. Does the rumble get progressively louder, or just at that speed? It's a 4x4 like mine what about the c/v shafts , any clicking in 4x4 mode when turning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is two wheel drive. I made my account when I had my 4x4. Anywho to answer your question (in my case anyways) I didn't have the rumble until I messed with the rotors and my tires are new.
Ordered the hubs they should be at my place by Friday. :)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did you do to rotors? My bet is the bearings! Here's a silly question, when you torqued the front wheels, you did them in an opposing lug tightening pattern? I've seen vibration at 35 to 45 when wheels are torqued wrong. It can warp the rotors. What type of rims do you have?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your problem started after messing with rotors, I'll bet you have s bad bearing or bearing fit with rotor. I'd pull it apart and inspect and advise as dealer would say. Let us know, Moose

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did you do to rotors? My bet is the bearings! Here's a silly question, when you torqued the front wheels, you did them in an opposing lug tightening pattern? I've seen vibration at 35 to 45 when wheels are torqued wrong. It can warp the rotors. What type of rims do you have?

Tires are brand new. I had them balanced, spun and re spun righ in front of me twice after they put the weights on. And this was yesterday.

And this is what I did to my rotors. :biggrin:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f41/wow-what-pain-brake-28379/

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow yours was the one with the stuck rotors? You definitely have to change the rotors and bearings. Make sure the spindles the bearings ride on are ok! Once you get new bearings on, grease everything well. Do you live in humid climate ? That's a lot of rust. Let us know it turns out.