Finally able to take decent pictures!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeff kushner, Aug 9, 2017.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Most of my friends all know that I'm quick to admit that I typically take horrible photographs. I always have been unable to take decent pics. I'll also insert here that I haven't really placed any effort into taking decent pictures but just relied on the "auto" settings of every camera. I bought a 250 buck camera a couple years ago for 50 bucks but sometimes it scrolls through it's menu's instead of taking a picture!

When Kerry & I sent to Jamaica, we each took our own camera. She knows that my pictures would suck so she was just being pragmatic about it. Anyway, we took hundreds of shots and the camera I was using a WB250F Samsung took excellent shots WHEN it worked correctly and wasn't flipping from screen to screen when I turned it on as often happened.

Anyway, I decided to get another camera. I spent 5 weeks researching then bought a ZS70 because a SLR platform doesn't fit into my pocket. A week ago, I confided that I might have made a mistake with the camera I bought. I bought "capability" instead of matching my skillset with a camera and I was overwhelmed by the 302 pages of Greek and the multi-level capabilities. I read, I tinkered, I read, I tinkered....you all know the deal. I spent my "throne" time reading the manual while having the camera setting next to the manual so I could do it as I read how to do different things.

We took last weekend to go down to the lake house her Aunt owns and I spent some time photographing the resident Hummingbirds.

The pictures are a little too large to post so these are resized at 75%

Pretty amazing animals. The top two pictures were both taken at 8,000 frames per sec. The first with a Fstop of 5.1 & ISO of 640 & Fstop of 4.9 & ISO of 2000 for the second shot.

The last shot was taken at 4,000FPS, F5.3 ISO -1,600 and while the exposure is a bit too high, it's not fast enough for a Hummingbirds' wing!

What was obvious in the pictures is that they have complete control over the entire length of their wings and I finally feel as if I can take a decent picture!

jeff

Slow-r1.jpg

Slow-drink r1.jpg

so fast! r1.jpg

2. Allen Miller

Allen Miller Member

Those are some great pictures. Also, the wings aren't actually bending like you see in the pictures... It's a factor of the shutter and the lens basically warping the light as the shutter opens and shuts.

For your further viewing pleasure, and to get a good picture of how the wings actually articulate:

3. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

It's all good. This camera also let me take some(way too large to post here) 4K videos at 120FPS and some MP4's at 240 FPS along with some 10 pic per sec bursts and it's amazing the quality of the 4k, even on my little 40" bedroom TV!

jeff

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017