Finally Hit 6000 Miles and Did the Second Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my oil changed this morning and I dropped an oil sample off at Blackstone Labs at 8:20 this morning.
IMG_6329.jpg

IMG_6330.jpg

I received my report at 5:07 PM and the only red flag is there is 6.3% fuel in the oil which is high. Blackstone recommends that while I have plenty of life in the oil at 5000 miles (I first changed oil at 1000 miles) because of the fuel, diluting the oil they recommend that I don't go any longer. In fact they are recommending that I have it checked out, so I'll be making that call tomorrow.

5000 mile Oil Report.JPG

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Boose said there is supposed to be a drop off in the fuel dilution after about 10k miles or so according to other forums. Hopefully your dilution issue clears up with some miles. Get out and drive her!!

With the high dilution I agree change your oil often, honestly 5k is a better interval anyway

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Boose said there is supposed to be a drop off in the fuel dilution after about 10k miles or so according to other forums. Hopefully your dilution issue clears up with some miles. Get out and drive her!!

With the high dilution I agree change your oil often, honestly 5k is a better interval anyway
That has been my plan all along. Use full synthetic and change it every 5K.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll keep an eye on it, but I do have the 8 year 100K mile warranty so it will be Ford's problem if it doesn't clear up.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my oil changed this morning and I dropped an oil sample off at Blackstone Labs at 8:20 this morning.
View attachment 23781

View attachment 23783

I received my report at 5:07 PM and the only red flag is there is 6.3% fuel in the oil which is high. Blackstone recommends that while I have plenty of life in the oil at 5000 miles (I first changed oil at 1000 miles) because of the fuel, diluting the oil they recommend that I don't go any longer. In fact they are recommending that I have it checked out, so I'll be making that call tomorrow.

View attachment 23782

Did Blackstone say what could be causing the problem?

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Blackstone say what could be causing the problem?
No all they said is in the report above. I will call them tomorrow and ask question. When I first tested the oil at 1000 miles they said that gas in the oil was common in EcoBoost engines. I'm not sure if that's because of direct injection or what.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this, Andy! And please do keep us posted with what you find out.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 23781

View attachment 23783

View attachment 23782

Andy, I think a factor in your gasoline in the oil is due to the lack of driving you do. Just based on your mileage, it seems that you don't drive it a lot, and mostly on short trips. Thats an assumption. While the engine may reach a normal operating temperature, you're not driving it long enough to evaporate the fuel from the oil.

As a corollary, my commute is 2.5 miles one way, barely enough to warm up the engine. I find that in a week, my battery will die (happened 2-3 times already...same thing with my Explorer so I know its not the truck) because I don't drive enough to recharge the battery. I have to drive for a good distance 30-40 miles once a week or it dies. This also allows the engine to run hot enough, long enough, to burn off water and fuel collected in the oil.

Take another sample after a good hour or two of running and see what your analysis says.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
VERY typical Andy.....your engine doesn't get the same "# of starts/oil at full temp for time" that most engines get so you'll see this for some time. It's NOT an issue so don't let anyone tell you that it is. It's just that you are injecting fuel under very high pressure, some is mixing with oil on a molecular level and is being scraped off the piston walls and mixed back into the rest of the oil....it will lessen with time and of course real miles buddy!

FWIW- I take my mobil 1 full syn 5-30/purfilter to the local guy, every 5K....last time my oil life showed 61% remaining!!

jeff