Flashing od light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i let my truck sit for a week (vacation). and now when ever i get above like 50 the od light starts flashing on off on off, no pattern just an annoying flash like hazards. i cant seem to find anything wrong i need help wit this one. o its a 97 eb 5.4 4x4

cj7_lhc

Reaction score
our 2002 is doing the same thing. It's the wife's and she called while out of town several weeks ago saying the od was flashing. I finally got to look at it tonight. I have the autotap software for fords so I can look into the computer. The check enging light is not on but I have a P1783 code that says transmission overtemperature. The engine temp is running ~200F and the trans fluid is running at ~290F. I pulled the neg side of the battery for several minutes which reset the od light. My next steps are to search the net further and look at the coolant system for a possible flushing and drain the trans fluid.

Not sure if it helps you, just sharing my findings. Good luck

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
290°F! Yikes, you've probably fried it! What's she towing?

trans_life_expectancy.jpg

-- Chuck

OP
OP
T

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just got mine checked by my buddy at a dealership. he pulled a P1728, excessive slippage? is there anything i can do besides replacing the tranny?