Flex Fuel @ $2.39 vs. Regular $3.69, what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ethanol does NOT supply more power but it does allow more turbo boost !

It also takes more energy to bring a gallon of E-85 to market than the gallon of E-85 produces- all the fuel for the tractors, the energy required to distill the corn into alcohol, the fuel required to bring it to the station........

But it's heavily subsidized.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is very possible I was wrong in my post of more power, I could have sworn I read that somewhere reputable. In any case my 09 runs great on it albeit a few less miles per gallon. I filled up today with E85 at $2.09 / gal.

I was told today by a fellow ford owner that the oil needs to be changed sooner/ more often when running E85, any trooth to this? I have never heard it before....

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a little more searching and I found this info on horsepower and torque for a 5.4 on gas / E85. This is from consumer Guide Auto this data is for a 2009 F150

ohc V8
Engine Size (liters/cubic inches) 5.4/330
Engine HP 310-320
Engine Torque (lb-ft) 365-390
Avail. Trans. EPA MPG (city/hwy) MPG avg. as tested
6-speed automatic

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is very possible I was wrong in my post of more power, I could have sworn I read that somewhere reputable. In any case my 09 runs great on it albeit a few less miles per gallon. I filled up today with E85 at $2.09 / gal.

I was told today by a fellow ford owner that the oil needs to be changed sooner/ more often when running E85, any trooth to this? I have never heard it before....
Yes that is the truth. Ethanol will thin out the oil and make it lose it lubricity. If you’re going to run it full time I would use a good synthetic oil and change it every 3000 miles

I run it full time in my CTSV and stick to 3000 mile change intervals and run Redline oil.