Flywheel help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buddy8693

Reaction score
I have a 1998 exp with a 5.4 wen I got the truck a few months ago it had a busted flywheel I put one in it torqued it right the truck run fine but the other day I started hearing a nose the the flywheel busted agent the hole center is riped out can anyone please tell me what would make this happen

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.
Usually flex plate issues are from drastically out of balance components or from destructive harmonics during operation. Similar to the wine glass trick breaking at right frequency.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buddy,
If you can post a pic of your flywheel here, show damage and which way it was installed facing block.

How do the teeth look?

Was there also damage along the outer edge of the flywheel?

Was it put on backwards?

Was there any warning or unexplained sounds coming from the area?

Unless he left out that part of badly shaking motor, due to unbalanced part(s), I would rule that out.

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should actually be the flex-plate, since i dont think they made manual transmission expeditions.
I'd take a good look at the torque converter when you have it out, it may be damaged or way out of balance. or a bolt just came out

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back in the days, flexplate was the correct word for automatics, but in the last 15 years atleast, it seems people use the word flywheel to describe the flexplate.

New generations getting lazy with words to make there lives seem easier I guess. They got me calling it a flywheel now, tired of explaining the difference to them.

Would be very helpful if he would post a pic of his flywheel, they just don't tear themselves up with out help. This is something that has to be seen to figure out.

Like alot of people who need help, they tend to leave out parts of the story that may have contributed to the problem.